• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Period knives and Tomahawks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a belt axe/tomahawk displayed in the John James Audubon Museum in Henderson, Kentucky, which belonged to Gen. Samuel Hopkins, active military in the revolutionary war. Carl Russell has a drawing of it in his book. Hard to judge size of the original, but the shape is close to the one sold as the Ft. Meigs ax. It's called the Kentucky pattern axe.

View attachment 43552
Was just about to post that

I am of the strong opinion that the so-called Ft. Meigs type tiny, tiny axe heads are just not 18th century. Certainly not 1750's. Much as I love them, I just don't see them as being that early.

I disagree just a tad...., I think the Ft. Meigs type tiny axe head is a craftsman's tool that could very much have been 1750's..., just not something one carried on the belt or used in the field. Somebody found it and said, "what a neat, little tomahawk"... and folks thought it was such. You can, for a modern example, use a tack hammer to drive in tent stakes, but that's not what it's meant to do. ;)

LD

The problem is styling. While stylistically, the Ft. Meigs axe head fits in perfectly fine with, say, 1820, I do not see it fitting in at all with 1750.

Earlier on, tomahawks were needed for use as a weapon, as much as anything. The tiny little axes simply aren't gonna serve all that well in that capacity. As areas became settled, the need for a weapon diminished, and the "bag axes" did become somewhat popular.

I disagree just a tad...., I think the Ft. Meigs type tiny axe head is a craftsman's tool that could very much have been 1750's..., just not something one carried on the belt or used in the field. Somebody found it and said, "what a neat, little tomahawk"... and folks thought it was such. You can, for a modern example, use a tack hammer to drive in tent stakes, but that's not what it's meant to do. ;)

LD
also used to split the back bone of a deer, from crotch to neck. it works fine.

Some historic axes and hand axes
D6B4AF21-0748-43B8-AEFA-5AE29B51CA0F.jpeg
553407A8-EA47-432A-8A6D-C47D9E226A0A.jpeg
EF15C499-5A7F-4055-A15E-5A4B175BAA06.jpeg
14E7FC21-FE87-493B-8770-93BF5A51F52D.jpeg
4673283E-369B-4584-B75E-B5EF02F4BAA7.jpeg
CC1D84F5-6E0A-457E-A08C-5351A0295BF7.jpeg
1EE36DA7-4B5C-4E90-BA6B-49BC54996D5E.jpeg
78EA22B0-22B4-4177-AE8C-B01719618EAF.jpeg
E77E526E-B854-478A-8C8E-1D3428DFCE5E.jpeg
9EA63D25-7371-4EAC-B802-D6C2881F9486.jpeg

The problem is styling. While stylistically, the Ft. Meigs axe head fits in perfectly fine with, say, 1820, I do not see it fitting in at all with 1750.

Earlier on, tomahawks were needed for use as a weapon, as much as anything. The tiny little axes simply aren't gonna serve all that well in that capacity. As areas became settled, the need for a weapon diminished, and the "bag axes" did become somewhat popular.

I have one of those little Meigs hatchets. And this is exactly how I carry it. In a shoulder bag with all my stuff. (It has its on little cover). I cut the handle back to maybe 8-9" or so. I use it to assist in butchering game. Handles a hog quite well.

I do not care to pack a hatchet while hunting, but I can slip this little hatchet on my belt if needed. If I don’t want to carry the shoulder bag. I seldom venture to the 1750’s. Im more of a 1810-1830 kinda guy. ;)

When my older brother passed away, I was the recipient of several items of his collection. One of which was this knife/dagger. I'm pretty good when it comes to identifying guns, but knives, to me, are a whole different ballgame. If anyone has an idea of what it is, when it might have been made etc.
Knife 1.jpg
knife2.jpg
knife3.jpg
knife4.jpg
knife5.jpg
, I would appreciate it tremendously.

Looking into joining a local re-enactment group. They are mainly focused on The French and Indian War, but some of them actually get into The American Civil War re-enactment too.

What Knives and Hawks would be proper for militia in The French and Indian War?
And what Knives and Hawks would be used by a Southern Volunteer in the Civil War?

As one who has always tried to be as authentic as possible in a number of different eras of the 18th century up through the UnCivil War, the first recommendation is to ASK what your reenactment group has identified as being correct for either time period. That will save you money from buying something that is not period correct OR may or was not actually used by the group your reenactment unit portrays.

THE most common knife a Southron Volunteer actually used was a folding pocket knife like a period Barlow or others and that included homemade examples. While many early war Southron Volunteers showed up with commercially or locally made Bowie knives or "Arkansas Tooth Picks" ( the latter for some units), they quickly discarded them in the field, as they were useless compared to a fixed bayonet and too heavy to carry on long marches.

UnCivil War period axes are pretty easy to get, because we are still using many of the same styles today. However, you won't need one of those until you get the rest of your gear together and your unit may already have enough to use in camp.

Two items you WILL often use in camp are a small maul to drive tent pegs and to a much lesser extent, a period shovel to dig fire pits, etc. However, most units often have one or two mauls and share them equally as well as a shovel or two. I had a real nice small wood handled steel maul that was just the ticket for driving Iron tent pegs and loaned it to anyone in the unit who needed it. Wood mauls or gluts don't work well in many of the camp grounds you will be on.

The important first thing to do as a Southron Volunteer is to get your clothes/uniform, weapon, leather goods and personal goods before you begin to buy camp goods, though.

Gus

Last edited:
I'm not too knowledgeable about knives in general, but as far as the American Civil War, knives or Hawks were not standard issue. The Union soldier generally packed a folding pocket knife of his own purchase to use in cutting food etc. The Southern soldier was less standardized and most of his uniform and equipment were of his own bringing. I'm not saying that none of them would have packed such items, but if they did it would be stuff they either had at home or could purchase from a sutler. Folding knives were easier to put in your haversack and less dangerous than packing a tomahawk of large blade knife on you waist.

I do not care to pack a hatchet while hunting, but I can slip this little hatchet on my belt if needed. If I don’t want to carry the shoulder bag.
I always bring a quality fixed blade knife, cord, steel, cheap folding knife for the steel, tomahawk, compass, survival blanket, compass, water, gum, TP, extra ammo, flashlight (crank LED), BIC lighter, basic firstaid kit, tinder, extra gloves and socks, hanky, and sidearm(s) when hunting. I always plan it that way...just in case I have to stay a night in the woods. All fits in my pack(except the fixed blade, hawk, and whatever I carry for a sidearm). But, I digress........

The important first thing to do as a Southron Volunteer is to get your clothes/uniform, weapon, leather goods and personal goods before you begin to buy camp goods, though.

Gus
1853 Enfield 3 band Musket... âś”
Grey Kepi... âś”
Brown Cotton Bedroll... âś”
Going for the Confederate Guerilla look...like in The Outlaw Josey Wales. Me and 3 others are making a small "band". It was decided on when we could only get 3 guys to be Confederates, but ended up getting a 4th. No horses, just sidearms and Muskets.

1853 Enfield 3 band Musket... âś”
Grey Kepi... âś”
Brown Cotton Bedroll... âś”
Going for the Confederate Guerilla look...like in The Outlaw Josey Wales. Me and 3 others are making a small "band". It was decided on when we could only get 3 guys to be Confederates, but ended up getting a 4th. No horses, just sidearms and Muskets.

You may think about a period civilian slouch or brim hat with that impression as another option, if you wish. They were very popular with even uniformed Southron Soldiers from mid war on, who were originally issued kepi's. That and period civilian trousers and a civilian jacket/coat would make a very believable impression for those who just joined up at any time during the war.

They may also have gotten a pair of Federal sky blue trousers after they joined, BUT you want to be careful not to use a Federal Coat or vest. That would have gotten you hung as a spy if you were captured or wounded OR shot by your own side in the confusion of battle.

Gus

I always bring a quality fixed blade knife, cord, steel, cheap folding knife for the steel, tomahawk, compass, survival blanket, compass, water, gum, TP, extra ammo, flashlight (crank LED), BIC lighter, basic firstaid kit, tinder, extra gloves and socks, hanky, and sidearm(s) when hunting. I always plan it that way...just in case I have to stay a night in the woods. All fits in my pack(except the fixed blade, hawk, and whatever I carry for a sidearm). But, I digress........
Geez, I’ve been doin’ it all wrong. I just walk (or drive) back to the ranch house. :D

Nightwolf,

Your civilian impression reminds me of one of my soldiers when we first started our unit of "The Stafford Guards." One of our new members was rather slight of stature. Actually, his height and weight was right in keeping with the times. When he first started, we loaned him a uniform including a Kepi, but to be honest, it just didn't look "right" on him.

After a couple events in the borrowed uniform, he got his own clothing. I came out of my tent one morning and was surprised to see there he stood in a period Brown Top hat and civilian coat, vest and trousers. He also had what may have been the largest carpet bag for a haversack that one could imagine. (We used to joke it was so big he could have used it for a sleeping bag.) However, in that outfit, he looked absolutely correct for his personality. I told him he looked great, as did most of our guys. When he added a musket and cartridge box and cap box, it looked as if he had just joined up with the unit, fresh out of a store. Even though few Confederate units had Sutlers with them, we called him our "Fighting Sutler" and suggested no one attempt to steal his stock of goods. Grin.

Gus

I never really considered reenacting much before this year. I wanted to get into something I could enjoy my black powder hobby with being outdoors more....other than hunting.

Back