• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Period fabric dye recipe (Early 1800's)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
I found this yellow dye recipe in a early 1800's cookbook. It's one I hadn't seen before, it uses horseradish leaves.

Mrs. Eastaff To Dye Linen or Cotton a fine straw or Lemon colour. eight handfuls of horse raddish leaves, one ounce of Allum two gallons of water, Boil the whole till reduced to six quarts. Your linen or cotton having washed quite clean. - when the above liquor is hot let the article to be dyed be emerged therein. - Make a starch with the liquor that is left & glase with a sleak stone Eastaff

Title: English cookbook
Author: unknown

I don't fully understand the last sentence/direction.

"Make a starch with the liquor that is left & glase with a sleak stone Eastaff"

"Make a starch with the liquor that is left & glase with a sleak stone Eastaff"

You thicken the leftover fluid, and glaze the fabric with a very smooth stone to give the fabric a shiny appearance when you look at it at an angle. How exactly they want you to do that is not explained. Probably expected the reader to know.

LD

Back