• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

period correct bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One other thing that I think is worth considering: I suspect that shooting matches were of shorter duration than ours are today. Instead of shooting a course of 25 shots or more in a day times two days let's say, they might have called it a good shooting match to shoot three to five shots in an afternoon at a single mark.

Bringham shows a mix
0FE06561-131A-4A24-8541-CAFC67A76BCC.png

I'm with Montgomery. The powder was in a horn, the patches were in the patch box and so all that was left was the balls/bullets that were carried in the hunting pouch. As far as "Tools" as stated, carried some place else. Not used that much.
The only "tools" I carry are an Oiler, Primer, Flint wallet with Hand forged Screwdriver/Knapping hammer. In the wallet three flints, a few Jaw leathers, a couple of patches, three balls, patch puller, ball puller, scraper., ram rod end for loading or cleaning. A Deer Antler powder measure, brush & pick are tied to the outside of the bag on the strap, also a ball block. I carry more balls and patches in the bag itself. Some days I will carry the larger set of tools just because, but other wise just the one tool. I only carry the brass ram rod puller if I am by myself or going far. You can see by the ruler, my bag is small & compact with attached horn. Works very well.

Attachments

• ML Bag Tools 1.jpg
    ML Bag Tools 1.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • ML Bag Small.jpg
    ML Bag Small.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I am sure many of you have seen this picture before.

View attachment 180085
Yes, seen it many times. It is one of the examples I was referring to above when I wondered how much stuff found in/with extant shot pouches was stored in/with the pouch but carried elsewhere when the owner left home/camp/fort.
I have items I don't want in my shot pouch, but want to be sure to have when I'm out with the gun and pouch, so, they hang on or with the bag. I have items I want if I'm hunting with the gun and pouch, but not if just going to the range and don't want them in my shot pouch,,, they hang on or with the pouch I carry all my non-essential shooting and wandering items. Some even are stored in that bag and get transfered to pockets and such when I get to the woods.

Just because something was found in/on/with an extant shot pouch doesn't mean it was carried there,,, could just be so the item wasn't forgotten.

We also don't know if all the items were original to a pouch or original owner. Did young Benjamin 3rd add that short starter, or set of eating utensils, or whatever, to granddad's pouch when running the local woodlot or shooting in a contest with his peers?
How many people into woods stuff, hunting, bushcraft,,,, whatever,,,, have repurposed old gas mask pouches from earlier wars, or similar bags and pouches, to carry their stuff? When someone finds one of those 60 or 100 years from now, would they be right to assume that paracord, a titanium spork, ferro-rod, some type of "wonder tinder," and a 1/4" thick full tang knife with a can/bottle opener pommel and appropriately abused spine,,,,, were carried with a gas mask?

Not knocking your example @French Colonial it is a great one,,,, it just leads me to many questions and is a good example of those questions.

Yes, seen it many times. It is one of the examples I was referring to above when I wondered how much stuff found in/with extant shot pouches was stored in/with the pouch but carried elsewhere when the owner left home/camp/fort.
I have items I don't want in my shot pouch, but want to be sure to have when I'm out with the gun and pouch, so, they hang on or with the bag. I have items I want if I'm hunting with the gun and pouch, but not if just going to the range and don't want them in my shot pouch,,, they hang on or with the pouch I carry all my non-essential shooting and wandering items. Some even are stored in that bag and get transfered to pockets and such when I get to the woods.

Just because something was found in/on/with an extant shot pouch doesn't mean it was carried there,,, could just be so the item wasn't forgotten.

We also don't know if all the items were original to a pouch or original owner. Did young Benjamin 3rd add that short starter, or set of eating utensils, or whatever, to granddad's pouch when running the local woodlot or shooting in a contest with his peers?
How many people into woods stuff, hunting, bushcraft,,,, whatever,,,, have repurposed old gas mask pouches from earlier wars, or similar bags and pouches, to carry their stuff? When someone finds one of those 60 or 100 years from now, would they be right to assume that paracord, a titanium spork, ferro-rod, some type of "wonder tinder," and a 1/4" thick full tang knife with a can/bottle opener pommel and appropriately abused spine,,,,, were carried with a gas mask?

Not knocking your example @French Colonial it is a great one,,,, it just leads me to many questions and is a good example of those questions.
Agreed, we can only assume.
It seems like the bag would be pretty full if all that stuff was "stuffed" in it and we only have his relatives 200 years after the fact saying it was all in there.

Still, I have printed the picture out and have it hanging in my office because..... well, because I think it is pretty cool!

For the gentlemen concerned about the prospects of growing older every year, I may have hope! Part of my job is interviewing children. One young gentleman stated he was now 6 years old, while his family said he was 5. On further inquiry, the lad explained he had 2 cakes this year: he turned 5 with the first one, and 6 with the second. He told me if you don't have cake, you don't get older.

So, no more cake! (I have found the Fountain of Youth!)

Agreed, we can only assume.
It seems like the bag would be pretty full if all that stuff was "stuffed" in it and we only have his relatives 200 years after the fact saying it was all in there.

Still, I have printed the picture out and have it hanging in my office because..... well, because I think it is pretty cool!
Yep, I think the bag became a holder for all of great grandpa's items related to his old shootin iron after it's use ceased or at least saw only limited service. I also think that's how all those bullet molds found in bags got there.

In my Possibles Bag I carry what I need to shoot, reload and occasionally wipe out the bore. I carry a secondary rifleman's pouch with the tools I need to make any repairs or resolve little issues. --- I have played around with different options, This has worked the best for me so far.

I hate to admit it but the best bag I ever had is a heavy white canvas I dyed tan in tea. Nice and quiet against underbrush, etc. The horn rests right on top without bouncing around.

Back