• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Perfect revolver?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I honestly feel like I'm doing my best to see if the new brass frame Colts actually "shoot loose". I have 3 brasser .44's that I don't make any effort to keep loads light in, and I shoot 20-30 grains of bp, or pyro , it doesn't matter. Apparently Pietta uses a better brass alloy that actually lasts now

Common brass is an alloy of 66 percent copper and 34 percent zinc.
In past centuries, a little tin was added to the mix for extra strength for some weapons ( called Gunmetal when used in firearms ) I am not sure what alloy Winchester used in their 1866 lever action rifles, and there are conflicting reports as to what the current Italian gunmakers use in their brass framed guns, ( the stronger Gunmetal, or common brass? ). They seem to be pretty vague about that subject when asked.
I would guess someone, somewhere; has done an electron spectrometer analysis test on some of the current reproductions to find out for sure, but i have not heard what the results were.

Common brass is an alloy of 66 percent copper and 34 percent zinc.
In past centuries, a little tin was added to the mix for extra strength for some weapons ( called Gunmetal when used in firearms ) I am not sure what alloy Winchester used in their 1866 lever action rifles, and there are conflicting reports as to what the current Italian gunmakers use in their brass framed guns, ( the stronger Gunmetal, or common brass? ). They seem to be pretty vague about that subject when asked.
I would guess someone, somewhere; has done an electron spectrometer analysis test on some of the current reproductions to find out for sure, but i have not heard what the results were.
Apparently Pietta got tired of decades of complaining so at some point in the 90s or 2000s they made their brassers actually shootable

For what it's worth that Blackie Thomas believes the new brass alloys are better in Piettas now and a YouTube guy claims he has put 1000s of "full power " loads through a .44 Brasser Navy and everything mic's the same as when it was new

All I know is I fired two of my .44 Brassers a lot this summer and they are unchanged. 100s of rounds of whatever a T/C U-View flask spout holds of Pyrodex P or 1,2,or 3f black powder

People used to shoot these loose in a day in the 1970s so something is different

Also the arbors are screwed in, not pinned.

And I honestly feel like I'm doing my best to see if the new brass frame Colts actually "shoot loose". I have 3 brasser .44's that I don't make any effort to keep loads light in, and I shoot 20-30 grains of bp, or pyro , it doesn't matter. Apparently Pietta uses a better brass alloy that actually lasts now
I buy and trade abused, neglected and unwanted revolvers. Here's a couple of brass frames that no longer serviceable. Besides the recoil shield being battered the threads are also gone. How it was done I have no idea. Maybe they used smokeless in them. I also have tried to shoot out a brasser. Chamber capacity loads, loose powder loads, 4f. Not even a ding on recoil shield as of yet. I have one where the arbor was still tight but the recoil shield was beat up. I smoothed it out and used a Pietta cylinder in it because Pietta cylinders are a little longer than most other brands. I also had one steel frame that the arbor was pulled out of the frame. Both the frame and arbor threads were goners. I gave that frame to a buddy said he was going to fix it. Should find out soon how and what he did.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1647872336569.jpg
    FB_IMG_1647872336569.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220307_133659.jpg
    20220307_133659.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 0
There are many adjectives or ways to describe a favorite revolver. Balanced, Reliable, Cheap, Sturdy, etc. The list goes on (and on). But "perfect"?

Last edited:
I'm happiest with the 7 1/2" barrel '51 with the petite slender cylinder of a .36 caliber after it's been remachined to .40.

There are many adjectives or ways to describe a favorite revolver. Balanced, Reliable, Cheap, Sturdy, etc. The list goes on (and on). But "perfect"?
That was sort of my point. That's why I posed the question the way I did, "What is the perfect revolver for you?" I'm a very visual person and I'm always first attracted to the appearance of most things such as my car, my house, my wife (she was so lovely!) I explained that a bit in the OP, but I like the 1851 for other reasons, as well. Maybe "best in the following categories" followed by a detailed list would have made more sense than "perfect," but as you can tell, I am already too wordy when I write. Thanks for your comments!

I only have 3 BP revolvers to compare but they are good representatives of the basic models of the time. The Walker...the most fun to shoot and accurate at long ranges, but always have to be fiddling with removing caps from between the cylinder and frame to keep it rolling. And it doesn't take long before I'm using both hands to shoot it. 1858 Remington...also very accurate, feels much better in my hand than the walker, a little barrel heavy, but a dirty gun to shoot. I put some very light groves in the cylinder pin which helps to keep the cylinder from binding up. 1851 Navy...this would be my carry gun back in the day. Feels great, a gun that lends itself to point and shoot, and very rarely do I ever have to stop shooting other than to reload.
Forum members have posted some revolver modification tips to prevent cap issues, if you can't locate them try looking at BP revolver mods by 'Blackie' on Utube.
Some say that Blackie doesn't cover it all like arbor length issues but he does offer some great tips on how to prevent Colt cap jams for free. As they say a picture or video speaks a 1000 words 😉
Relic shooter

Forum members have posted some revolver modification tips to prevent cap issues, if you can't locate them try looking at BP revolver mods by 'Blackie' on Utube.
Some say that Blackie doesn't cover it all like arbor length issues but he does offer some great tips on how to prevent Colt cap jams for free. As they say a picture or video speaks a 1000 words 😉
Relic shooter
Thanks. I think I've seen just about all of Blackie's tips on Utube concerning BP. Some I think are very good and have used. I try to gather as much info as possible and then filter it according to my abilities and how much sense it makes to me. There are some dangerous rabbit holes on the internet for the unwary!

Good luck with the Colt , they typically have all the same problems as any other '70's reproduction revolvers.
Don't let go of the Rugers yet!! 🤣

Oh, congratulations on the Colt.

Mike

Some people did not get what I was trying to point out.....

There are NO open tops firing 475 Linebaugh ammunition and if any one tried shooting my heavy 45 LC loads in one I want to be far away.
Bottom line, I like the looks of open tops but saying they are a stronger platform is just silly,

What are you defining as a "heavy" load?
"Looks" doesn't make strength. The Colt SAA has never been chambered in 44Mag much less 475 L or 454. A top strap revolver can be "built" to handle those rounds, to say an OT can't be made to handle "whatever" is silly. Mine is already in the 23K psi range.
The Dragoon version of the OT platform can probably handle 44Mag fairly easy.

Mike

Last edited:
Visually, I've always favored the 1860. Always thought it was the most redefined and elegant of the cap and balls. However, my 1851 fits my hand best and I find that I am much more comfortable and accurate with it then my 1860. I don't have a 1861 but perhaps it would be my "perfect revolver".
This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back