• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Perfect Range Rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since my stuck jag fiasco and using a wooden ramrod to clean with. I dont want to repeat the forbidden sin again.

So what in yall minds is the perfect Range Rod ?

Looking at Log Cabin right now but there is so many its kinda overwhelming.

All I have is a .50cal.

I understand this question will be subjective and expect many answers. Also not wanting to spend oodles.

Thanks

My shop rods are custom made one piece, 36"-42" long .30, 3/8's" and 1/2" diameter threaded for a variety of 10/32 tips and 6" extension. All fitted with a hand made on lathe oak handles and swivel mounts. Handles all Held on by threaded brass nuts to withstand yanking stuck stuff even when clamped in vise.

Range rod is a 42" whippy resin rod with epoxy and pinned 10/32 ferrule and 8/32 on other. Have a swivel t handle for 10/32 end for same clamping as need arises.

ALmost too popular on range.

Since my stuck jag fiasco and using a wooden ramrod to clean with. I dont want to repeat the forbidden sin again.

So what in yall minds is the perfect Range Rod ?

Looking at Log Cabin right now but there is so many its kinda overwhelming.

All I have is a .50cal.

I understand this question will be subjective and expect many answers. Also not wanting to spend oodles.

Thanks
Been shooting since the early 70's. All my range rods are good old Hickory with pinned ends. When I am home and want to use the water bucket, then I have a steel RR.
Larry

I have 2 nice swivel handle SS rods for modern stuff. And I bought a SS rod from Kibler for my .45 SMR. But for my .50s I like using a thick, 7/16” synthetic rod. In smaller diameters they can be too whippy, but 7/16” works good in a .50 and doesn’t bend much. You can’t brake them, and its pinned. I use 10-32 threads.

I still use my wooden ramrods for the most part, but whenever I get something real stuck I switch to my aluminum range rod with a T-Handle. If I get a ball or jag stuck, I can take a pair of vice grips and grip down on the aluminum rod perpendicular, then I hit the vice grips with a hammer until whatever is stuck budges. It’s gotten me out of some real tight spots in the last few weeks.

One range had a donated bench vise until some lowlife puke helped himself. I set up a couple hooks for t handles and yanking, They were well used and finally broke. Some forget ML is all about stuffing things down a small dark blind hole.

I ordered an aluminum 5/16 x 4' rod off amazon, a rod guide from TOW. I drilled and tapped 10/32 threads. Works well for me.

Attachments

• 20220506_134910.jpg
    20220506_134910.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220430_100850.jpg
    20220430_100850.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I steer away from all aluminum rods. Most good jags have steel threaded parts and can strip in aluminum. Aluminum can also bend/stretch somewhat under hard tension and compress/wedge when beaten on. Learned a hard lesson about on threading steel into into aluminum. My Harbor fright mechanics rolling seat was made with steel castors threaded into aluminum nuts. Castors came off dumping me on a concrete floor smacking the back of my head. May have affected the way i think and possibly others due to this being a common accident.

Latest posts

Back