• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion pistol ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can't find any manufacturers markings on this gun. It appears to be about .69 caliber rifled.
Trigger drops down when the hammer is cocked. It has some nice engraved scroll work.
I'm sure someone on here can shed some info on this piece. big bore2.jpgbig bore1.jpg

Attachments

• big bore1.jpg
    big bore1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 79
I can't find any manufacturers markings on this gun. It appears to be about .69 caliber rifled.
Trigger drops down when the hammer is cocked. It has some nice engraved scroll work.
I'm sure someone on here can shed some info on this piece.View attachment 74010View attachment 74012

You have a French/Belgian center box lock percussion muff pistol with fixed barrel & a folding trigger, made in the mid-1800's for ladies to carry inside their hand muff for SD.

Princess-Louisa-muff-indoors.jpg

Last edited:
Agree with Pietro. The barrel appears to have a decorative Damascus type pattern. That would likely fit in with the quality of this piece. Could have been made in France for a private individual. But Belgium did make many of this style pistol. Usually, if the barrel was made in one of the Belgium shops it would have a proof mark, but not always.

In any case it is a very nice example and appears in good condition. Congrats.

Rick

You have a French/Belgian center box lock percussion muff pistol with fixed barrel & a folding trigger, made in the mid-1800's for ladies to carry inside their hand muff for SD.

Princess-Louisa-muff-indoors.jpg
now that is a MUFF!!!

There is one marking on the underside of the barrel and also the lock "55 ." That's all I could find.
Damascus seems to be correct. I removed the handle and found nothing there.
The rifling has 16 lands and is in really good condition.

The pattern on the barrels seems to have counter-rotating twists. It almost looks like a machined "faux Damascus". You need to enlarge the pictures to make it out.

There is one marking on the underside of the barrel and also the lock "55 ." That's all I could find.
Damascus seems to be correct. I removed the handle and found nothing there.
The rifling has 16 lands and is in really good condition.
Great. I'd be tempted to shoot it a few times. LOL

Rick

The pattern on the barrels seems to have counter-rotating twists. It almost looks like a machined "faux Damascus". You need to enlarge the pictures to make it out.
Good point. There would seem to be no need for a genuine twist barrel for this type of little pistol. But the "faux" feature would blend in with the high quality features of the rest of the gun. More pics would be great.

Rick

Good point. There would seem to be no need for a genuine twist barrel for this type of little pistol. But the "faux" feature would blend in with the high quality features of the rest of the gun. More pics would be great.

Rick
Here's a couple of more views.

Attachments

• pistol1.jpg
    pistol1.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 103
  • pistol2.jpg
    pistol2.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 105
  • pistol1.jpg
    pistol1.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 112