• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion or Flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As with the OP, my curiosity is what got me hooked on ML in all its shapes and size. Part of that is the unanswerable issue of the SHTF scenario. In my opinion, the only firearm variant before the matchlock will be the flintlock.For that reason, and because of its esthetically appealing concept, the flintlock snobbery works for me. Functionality is of lesser consequence

As with the OP, my curiosity is what got me hooked on ML in all its shapes and size. Part of that is the unanswerable issue of the SHTF scenario. In my opinion, the only firearm variant before the matchlock will be the flintlock.For that reason, and because of its esthetically appealing concept, the flintlock snobbery works for me. Functionality is of lesser consequence
Maybe you should sell your car/truck and get a Model A?

To the OP,
You got percussions, been there done that - now go Flint!

My first was a flintlock, my second and third was flintlock. Then I got a percussion, ya it's cool but somehow falls short of the romance I find with my Pennsylvania flintlock (or my sea musket flintlock, or my blunderbuss, or my Kentucky flintlock pistol, or my light dragoon pistol). But ya, my percussion pistols and rifle are fun...I just feel I am 'missing something' when I shoot them (besides running low now on caps - one reason why old mountain men were leery of them).

Besides, Flintlock came BEFORE Percussion so you came in Backwards, time to turn yourself around!!

....and P.S.
Us flintlock shooters dont litter the land with spent caps 😉

Yes, the mountain men were leery of them but it didn't stop them from buying them. It was early 30's before the Hawken Bros starting making the half stock caplock guns. So, nobody could have used one in the early fur trade era. Plus, they couldn't all afford one.

If you're into a half stock Hawken. You're going to shoot a caplock. That's all there was.

Yes, the mountain men were leery of them but it didn't stop them from buying them. It was early 30's before the Hawken Bros starting making the half stock caplock guns. So, nobody could have used one in the early fur trade era. Plus, they couldn't all afford one.

If you're into a half stock Hawken. You're going to shoot a caplock. That's all there was.
But the man says he is looking at getting a "Pennsylvania", and wanting to know if to go Percussion or Flintlock...

Now look at it this way;
You walk into a tavern, you see a drop dead beautiful woman sitting at a table all by herself. So walk on over and if you can sit down, she says "Sure", so you do. You then lean over and you say "Hey babe, I have a Percussion strapped next to my saddlebag, would you like to play with it?"
Just think a moment, what would be going through her head..?

Now rewind: You walk in, ask her if you can sit, she says "Sure". You lean over and say "Hey babe, I have a Pennsylvania Flintlock outside strapped next to my saddlebag, would like to play with it?
eh...eh...see where this is going, eh?? 😉

But the man says he is looking at getting a "Pennsylvania", and wanting to know if to go Percussion or Flintlock...

Now look at it this way;
You walk into a tavern, you see a drop dead beautiful woman sitting at a table all by herself. So walk on over and if you can sit down, she says "Sure", so you do. You then lean over and you say "Hey babe, I have a Percussion strapped next to my saddlebag, would you like to play with it?"
Just think a moment, what would be going through her head..?

Now rewind: You walk in, ask her if you can sit, she says "Sure". You lean over and say "Hey babe, I have a Pennsylvania Flintlock outside strapped next to my saddlebag, would like to play with it?
eh...eh...see where this is going, eh?? 😉
The tavern scene aside. He asked if we use a caplock or flintlock. I explained why I use a caplock.

It's been so long since I walked up to a beautiful woman I can't remember what I said. I'm pretty sure it wasn't about a muzzleloader. :)

Are most members using percussion or flintlock rifles?
Is it necessarily a foregone conclusion that one progresses to flintlock?

I like shooting percussion and think I’ll be happy doing that but I’m afraid I’m missing out. So any guidance or advise please feel free to offer.

Okay, so all silliness aside, and yes my dry humor is often lost in web posts; so lets break down the OP's concerns and address his questions direct:

1) Are most members using Cap or Flint?
Well, we would need a Survey from members to address Just That to know one way or other. As many of us use Both that becomes a tricky question without such.

2) Does one 'Progress to Flintlocks"?
Well that would need to be a Separate survey - I for one started with Flintlock, as did actual history, then picked up my first Percussion (for different varying reasons). Personally however, I tend to pick up my Flint far more often then one of my Percussions. 'How many members' are the same would again require a Separate 'sub's survey.

3) the final question is: Would I be missing out if I do not give Flintlock a try?
Well Of Course you would be be "missing out" - just as a Flint user would be 'missing out' if they never give Percussion a try.

All and all I would say the overall question is 'Which is More used by members Here: Flintlock or Percussion'?
Again, it appears only a Survey can obtain that answer as casual discussion muddles any accurate census.

Flintlock Snobbery:
"Once you go Flint, you will Never go back"
(Look up "flintlock snobbery" here in the forums, very entertaining read - dont forget to Download your Certificate and hang it proud!)

Well, actually some do go back, some I hear never take the plunge at all. I just go back time to time to remind me why I enjoy my Flint so much.

Most important thing is that you Enjoy what you do, learn, and pass what you learn on to others.

Best of wishes with your first Flintlock and we will be looking to hear about your first impressions!!

Flintlock Snobbery:
"Once you go Flint, you will Never go back"
(Look up "flintlock snobbery" here in the forums, very entertaining read - dont forget to Download your Certificate and hang it proud!)

Well, actually some do go back, some I hear never take the plunge at all. I just go back time to time to remind me why I enjoy my Flint so much.

Most important thing is that you Enjoy what you do, learn, and pass what you learn on to others.

Best of wishes with your first Flintlock and we will be looking to hear about your first impressions!!
Got it thanks. I'll print it and hang it as soon as I can get and build my flinter.

So percussion guns didn’t show up on the scene until the bitter end of the “mountain man” era.

By the the early 1830s the “golden age” of the Rocky Mountain fur trade, beaver, and “mountain men” was in its death throes.

Not really. It went to 1840. The whole thing wasn't that long.

The point is, mountain men used the Hawken and it's PC to use one.

I know how long it was.

The beaver trade was all but over by 1834. Sure a lot of them went on to become scouts, buff hunters, Indian liaisons, etc etc, but the classical "mountain man/beaver trapper" era really only lasted a decade. Roughly 1824-1834. By 1835 beaver weren't worth carting out of the mountains.

The good news is, beaver are right back to being worth pretty much what they were worth at the zenith of the Rocky Mountain fur trade. About $5. 😳

I know how long it was.

The beaver trade was all but over by 1834. Sure a lot of them went on to become scouts, buff hunters, Indian liaisons, etc etc, but the classical "mountain man/beaver trapper" era really only lasted a decade. Roughly 1824-1834. By 1835 beaver weren't worth carting out of the mountains.
I consider it over at the last rendezvous and that was 1840. It doesn't have to be at it's peak to consider it still going. Besides i'm not just into what they did during beaver trapping but what they did when it was over too.

There were written records of the Company Trappers having "caps" listed in their supplies for Company supplied rifles.

I shot a lot of cap guns, that belonged to others. Just was not my thing
Then an old timer handed me a flinter.
After buying a production flintlock, and donating it an Ex.
I built the one I use today.

Its been said around, that your first one may not be a flinter, but your last one will be.

Back