• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion or Flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am curious so please bear with me. I am very new to Black powder and muzzle loading. I have two percussion rifles a GPR and a Tradition St. Louis both from kits. I’m very happy with both and plan to purchase or build more rifles. My question is are most members using percussion or flintlock rifles? Is it necessarily a foregone conclusion that one progresses to flintlock? If so, how long before one makes the plunge or did you start out shooting flintlocks? I understand that this may seem like a silly question but I’m going to build or buy a new Pennsylvania rifle in the near future and thought I’d go with percussion but thought it would be maybe more correct to go with flintlock. I like shooting percussion and think I’ll be happy doing that but I’m afraid I’m missing out. So any guidance or advise please feel free to offer.

I shot percussion for 30 years. For some reason flintlocks didn’t interest me. I had at least 8 percussion rifles and shotguns. A couple years ago I bought a cheap traditions flintlock kit. I put it together and started learning. A few years later and I’ve sold all my percussion guns except an enfield musketoon. I have a dozen flintlocks in different configurations. Once you get the flint bug that bug turns into an obsession. Percussion Guns no longer interest me at all. The neatness factor, the challenge and the history made me a 100% flint guy. You also don’t have to worry about those pesky caps anymore.

Dear Sir,
It is wonderful that you have gotten into black powder. It is more fun than anything. Most of what I do is 1840-65 with a focus on the War of Northern Aggression, but I have a rifle that is around the 1812 period and a flint pistol. Here are some pros and cons-
There is a cap shortage, so flint (depending on where you are) is not hard to find. You don't have to worry about ignition if you can't find or make caps.
There is (in my opinion) a little more chance of having a flint chip hit you than a cap fragment, but both are possible. Period eyeglasses (even if there is no magnification) help with that.

Caps are more dependable which is why the army and people in general went to them over flint, however, the mountain men and folks in distant areas still used flints because it was harder to get caps.
Flints are impressive to see, but generally take more time to get over the 'flinch' factor. You can now make caps with a priming compound from 22lcreloader, so you can continue to shoot the caplocks.

One possibility is to get a flint smooth bore so you could shoot ball or shot, which opens many possibilities and smooth is easier to clean than rifled. I started cleaning differently (after 35 years of bp shooting by using equal parts murphy's oil soap, alcohol and hydrogen peroxide- plug the vent/cone (i.e. nipple) and let it set 10 minutes, dump than do it again. Swab and oil. Very easy. That works on both.
Respectfully,
David

Not everyone progresses to flintlock. I've been shooting blackpowder for over 25 years and have a few flintlock rifles and haven't shot them in years, I just never got bit by the bug. I'm thinking about getting a long rifle and it will probably be a Caplock.

I have both but rarely shoot the percussion guns. I bought my first flintlock 50 years ago but already had a couple of caplocks I'd been using for years. I hunt exclusively with flintlocks and much prefer them. Factory flintlocks sometimes have balky locks unlike the cap versions. So get a good flinter and good ones aren't cheap. I never had an issue with switching back and forth between them and readily took to flinters. I've been spit on and sparked lots more from percussion than from flintlocks; but eye and ear protection are always recommended. Follow-through is critical when shooting flint unlike percussion. If you're in a hurry all the time you might not sync with flint guns.

I am curious so please bear with me. I am very new to Black powder and muzzle loading. I have two percussion rifles a GPR and a Tradition St. Louis both from kits. I’m very happy with both and plan to purchase or build more rifles. My question is are most members using percussion or flintlock rifles? Is it necessarily a foregone conclusion that one progresses to flintlock? If so, how long before one makes the plunge or did you start out shooting flintlocks? I understand that this may seem like a silly question but I’m going to build or buy a new Pennsylvania rifle in the near future and thought I’d go with percussion but thought it would be maybe more correct to go with flintlock. I like shooting percussion and think I’ll be happy doing that but I’m afraid I’m missing out. So any guidance or advise please feel free to offer.
It is not a foregone conclusion that one must eventually acquire a flintlock. There are many reasons that some people never build up a desire to own or shoot a flintlock. It is certainly not an issue of correctness to get a flintlock. Is black powder readily available where you live? Sure black powder can be ordered and delivered via on line ordering. But some people don't feel comfortable with more than a pound of powder. Some are just more comfortable shooting percussion lock rifles. For some the percussion lock has more familial relevance.

The bottom line, the correct progression for your experiences with black powder is totally up to you.

I started with flint, because that is where the attraction is. Caps are not my preference, although they are still a hoot to shoot. If you think you might be mising something, try one for at least 10 rounds. If you borrow one and get less than 9 out of 10 bangs, get another flinter to try.

Well, the way I look at it, you already have 2 percussion guns. Both guns resemble, and are styled like, plains rifles. Now you are talking about building or purchasing a " Pennsylvania" rifle. To me the PA rifle, and all the schools/ makers associated with it says "fintlock". Sure there are PA percussions, but the classic image of a PA rifle is flintlock. You can branch out in lock mechanism and time/era. I vote flintlock, but I am sure you will be happy either way and I am glad you are enjoying muzzleloading.

Well, the way I look at it, you already have 2 percussion guns. Both guns resemble, and are styled like, plains rifles. Now you are talking about building or purchasing a " Pennsylvania" rifle. To me the PA rifle, and all the schools/ makers associated with it says "fintlock". Sure there are PA percussions, but the classic image of a PA rifle is flintlock. You can branch out in lock mechanism and time/era. I vote flintlock, but I am sure you will be happy either way and I am glad you are enjoying muzzleloading.
Forgot to add.....since that is what you really asked.....I shoot and hunt with both percussion and flintlock. I enjoy them equally.

Been blessed to own and shoot many amazing rifles in the unmentionable types. Reloaded for them , hunted with them. Guess I got bored with competition , with them. Bored with building unmentionables , and jumped into the m/l rabbit hole . Made many new friends from 1970 forward. Built a couple percussion rifles to start with,shot most everything percussion that would go bang , then, good quality reliable flint locks were available and I never looked back. Awash in most any original flint gun design that could be thought of. 140+ built and never to look back.

I guess I shot percussion guns for 35+ years and then decided to try a flintlock. I enjoy shooting both but the flint is just more challenging and for me......more fun. Greg

I avoided flint guns for years, as my only experience was with cheap production guns that may or may not go off. Finally I bought a TC Renegade in .54 flint. It was pretty good, it ate flints up, but would fire 95% of the time with just the slightest delay. Then I got a used .40 cal with a small Siler flint lock. It was much faster, and just a bit more reliable. Then....I put together a Kibler SMR. It has been 100% reliable. I have not had 1 misfire, and it is FAST. I had always chuckled when people suggested their flint guns were as fast as cap guns, untill I experienced it with that Kibler. So now, the TC flint is sold, my TC cap guns are getting dusty, and the only caps I shoot are on my revolvers. I wish I had wised up years before, I have missed out on a lot of fun. A cheap flint is a burden, a nice production flint is a nice tool, a custom properly designed flint gun is a joy.

Last edited:
I think I'm up to about 25 muzzleloaders now. Most are percussion with a handful of flintlock. Depending on the amount of time I have to shoot, it determines the gun. It takes me forever to putter with a flintlock at the range.

In my experience cap guns didn't work well for me in the cold. The cap would get soft and block the nipple when fired. I've found flinters like the cold - the colder the better. Cold air is vey dry and the priming powder doesn't attract moisture.

I think if one is to get seriously into the ML hobby, both types ought to be tried. Most of mine are caplocks that I started with. I've three flintlocks too but I think I favor the cap guns. Over time things may change but I've tried both, we'll see.

Dear Sir,
It is wonderful that you have gotten into black powder. It is more fun than anything. Most of what I do is 1840-65 with a focus on the War of Northern Aggression, but I have a rifle that is around the 1812 period and a flint pistol. Here are some pros and cons-
There is a cap shortage, so flint (depending on where you are) is not hard to find. You don't have to worry about ignition if you can't find or make caps.
There is (in my opinion) a little more chance of having a flint chip hit you than a cap fragment, but both are possible. Period eyeglasses (even if there is no magnification) help with that.

Caps are more dependable which is why the army and people in general went to them over flint, however, the mountain men and folks in distant areas still used flints because it was harder to get caps.
Flints are impressive to see, but generally take more time to get over the 'flinch' factor. You can now make caps with a priming compound from 22lcreloader, so you can continue to shoot the caplocks.

One possibility is to get a flint smooth bore so you could shoot ball or shot, which opens many possibilities and smooth is easier to clean than rifled. I started cleaning differently (after 35 years of bp shooting by using equal parts murphy's oil soap, alcohol and hydrogen peroxide- plug the vent/cone (i.e. nipple) and let it set 10 minutes, dump than do it again. Swab and oil. Very easy. That works on both.
Respectfully,
David
Thanks for the tips on cleaning the barrel. What do you use on the woodwork?
Steve

Both the Flint and Percussion long rifles are most astatically pleasing to me , but the Flint is the prettiest and most fickle hands down. If you take the time to learn her and be humble, you will be rewarded well. When you can see the ball trail leave your rifle and print in the target and not flinch , their will be no modern equal you have not mastered . Wheel lock would be the next step to insanity.

Back