• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion, ok I get it, but...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First thing that popped in my head is that it might be a salesman’s sample. If I was trying to get someone to switch over, it might be a useful tool to showcase features and benefits.

What is it that shoots both percussion and flint? I only have percussion and am interested in a flintlock.
They really made them in the old days. This rifle was made in PA.

Attachments

• 20221001_144329.jpg
    20221001_144329.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I've only used percussion guns. Often thought about getting a flinter, but heard flints only last 6-8 shots and then have to be re-chipped or whatever the term is, just seems like one more finicky step I am not willing to do.

I've only used percussion guns. Often thought about getting a flinter, but heard flints only last 6-8 shots and then have to be re-chipped or whatever the term is, just seems like one more finicky step I am not willing to do.
Number of shots varies greatly depending on quality of the flints and quality of the lock. Some flints will last a long time. I have used German swan flints for many years on a quality lock. They lasted so long I didn't even think about when they might need changing. There is no specific answer to your question. Just follow the threads on this forum, flints and flint locks are discussed (and cussed) frequently.

What the “Rifleman” says is correct, as long as you set it up correctly. People that experience the low count in shots usually have the flint hitting the frizzen too square and are literally smashing the flint. Which is bad for the frizzen as well. I’ve shot mine over 30 or 40 times with only a little tap here and there to freshen the edge.

RM

Back