• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Percussion Muzzleloader Newbie questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Zouave bore is just under. The .575 works with thumb pressure starting. The .578 will work but pita to get started.

Just got a reply from Jetbullets. They're saying its pure lead. Maybe my bullet swager isn't all that great. Good to know at least, dont have to worry about giving up on the ones I had bought.

First let me say I size and lube my minies with a Lyman Lubrisizer but do have ocasion to do some odd sizes and then use a push-through sizing die. I start by dipping them base first up to the top groove in lube melted in a double boiler and let them cool. This leaves the entire outside grooved area covered with a thick coat of lube and none inside the hollow base. I start them in the die nose first and use an old all wood short starter in the base to push them through. A sharp smack with the palm of my hand does the job leaving you with a sized mini with lube in the groves only. Sizing an unlubed bullet requires quite a bit more effort as does taking them down more than a couple of thousandths. You shouldn't need an arbor press and you can use a drill press as it'll give more vertical room. If you can't do it by hand try a short length of dowel sanded for a fair fit in the base cavity and strike it with a mallet.

I used an arbor press for a while till I got sizers that threaded into my reloading press. I'll never go back. My Hogdon mold drops minies at about 580 and I'm sizing to 579 for my Colts and Zouaves and I'll size the same minie to 575 for my Parker Hales with no problems.

Never heard of Jetbullets. Most of us in the NSSA will use CWBulletman on the Lodgewood site. He is a skirmisher who actively shoots these types of guns in competition and understands what is needed. Can't say that about any other supplier I know of.

Smokestack:

I am a former N-SSA competitor and shot 2 Enfields. I started sizing with a sizing die and wooden stick and mallet. Lube the bullet first, then size through the sizer point first by placing a rounded-end wooden dowel in the hollow base and tap it until the bullet emerges sized out the other end. Easier to do than to describe. I sized from .580 yo .577 for my 2-bander and it would shoot one hole at 50 yards all day.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask more questions.

ADK Bigfoot

Finally got out and slung some lead through it!

No pictures or targets to show, as I was shooting dirt for the most part. The main reason was just to get used to the motions of loading and shooting the rifle, and of course, cleaning afterwards. Turns out a 50 grain charge with my bullets will land about on point with my sights at 100 yards. Was putting lead into the same crater of dirt at that range, just need to get out there with some paper on hand and see what the groups look like.

Certainly got the attention of the other folks attending the range today. A man and his kids were sighting in their hunting rifles and I let them have a go at shooting it, it certainly made their day, and I might have just spread the blackpowder bug on to a couple more folks :). Smiles all around.

Thanks again to everyone that had chipped in and helped me in this thread. I'll continue to update when I start printing groups on paper.

Also thanks for the suggestions above. I've got a set of pin gauges on the way but wont be seeing them for a little while yet. All of your input is appreciated!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back