• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion Double Barreled Shotgun Identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkpilot

32 Cal
Reaction score
CF6B3DAA-2C1E-4517-8A82-82F965C5FE44.jpeg
70A7CE72-6AC2-48C8-B425-6921A0F186A8.jpeg
hello. First post for me. I just got this old workhorse, but noticed some interesting markings. My search didn’t lead to any info on the open net.

Best I can make out:

On the right side barrel breech area are the letters:
D. L. & Co P (the is the beginning of a word, but all subsequent lettering is extremely diminished)

Also there is a cartouche of a bug- beetle- or fly of some sort with the letters D and L placed respectively on each wing. The cartouche is placed semetrically on both side plates.

Seems to be just slightly less than 12 gauge size at the muzzle. I need to get a better measurement device..

Please help.

I can't help on identify this piece, but saw your post in the other thread. Are there any other marks on the bottom of the barrel or elsewhere? A picture of the whole shotgun might also be helpful. Seems to be a decent shotgun.

There should be proof marks on the underside of the barrels. If there are, take a picture of them and post it here. We should be at least able to tell you where the gun was made.

As for the "back lock" style with the lockplate behind the hammer, they became popular in the late 1840's and were used from then on.

Back