Percussion Double Barreled Shotgun Identification

Discussion in 'Firearm Identification' started by hawkpilot, Mar 19, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Mar 19, 2019 #1

hawkpilot

hawkpilot

hawkpilot

32 Cal

CF6B3DAA-2C1E-4517-8A82-82F965C5FE44.jpeg 70A7CE72-6AC2-48C8-B425-6921A0F186A8.jpeg hello. First post for me. I just got this old workhorse, but noticed some interesting markings. My search didn’t lead to any info on the open net.

Best I can make out:

On the right side barrel breech area are the letters:
    D. L. & Co P (the is the beginning of a word, but all subsequent lettering is extremely diminished)

Also there is a cartouche of a bug- beetle- or fly of some sort with the letters D and L placed respectively on each wing. The cartouche is placed semetrically on both side plates.

Seems to be just slightly less than 12 gauge size at the muzzle. I need to get a better measurement device..

Please help.

2. May 17, 2019 #2

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

54 Cal.

I can't help on identify this piece, but saw your post in the other thread. Are there any other marks on the bottom of the barrel or elsewhere? A picture of the whole shotgun might also be helpful. Seems to be a decent shotgun.

hawkpilot likes this.
  3. May 17, 2019 #3

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

There should be proof marks on the underside of the barrels. If there are, take a picture of them and post it here. We should be at least able to tell you where the gun was made.

As for the "back lock" style with the lockplate behind the hammer, they became popular in the late 1840's and were used from then on.

Hiparoo and hawkpilot like this.