• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Percussion caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I , at first never thought about owning a flintlock. It was percussion, or nothing. With the price of cap these days, if you can find them, 10 t0 15 cents each is just outrageous. Now, flinters can definitely have their problems, but if the lock is properly tuned, they go off every time. I have had misfires even with CCI and RWS.
Wouldn’t it be cool if someone could come up with a workable flintlock revolver.

I do like to shoot my percussion pistols (mostly) and have enough caps to last me for a while, however what I do have is enough flints to last me a lifetime and about 30 feet of match cord, it might be slower but it's still accurate!!

Only thing that bothered me was their SSL Certificate was a little flaky, but I decided to give it a go so we'll see. If it pans out it just goes to show that the Hazmat fee is a gimmick to separate you from your coin and probably not necessary!
They're legit! Just got my order from them yesterday and placed a second one. Just the caps not the other stuff.

thumbnail_20230119_101710.jpg

I just shoot and have fun, worrying about cost is senseless . Everything costs money. I just took my girlfriend to shoot "unmentionable " rifles and the ammo bill was nearly $200 , because I didn't want to dip into my supply and I bought new ammo 😀 if I have to eat Ramen for a week oh well

I'm never going to be like the guy I just saw at my gun club that drives out to the 100 yard line, posts a target, drives back, sets up his Hubble spotting scope and has a bolt action rifle. Proceeds to fire exactly 3 rounds, one every 10 minutes or so then packs up and leaves. I'd rather just find something else to do at that point if I couldn't afford to have a decent day of shooting

Life is too short

That said, Midway has a clearance on .454 round balls at 6 bucks per 100 so I bought 1000 balls. I should be good for 6 months of shooting with my Walkers now

I bought the cap maker a year or two ago. I don't even want to use commercial caps anymore. The homemade stuff is more reliable, hotter & fun to make. Plus, when my buddies talk about all their premium gear, I like to tell them that I actually stamped my caps from a beer can.

Personally, I find one of the best thing about muzzleloading is the ability to be more self-reliant for practice and hunting. Cap shortages just get me deeper and deeper into this hobby.

Back