• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have not been able to find any #11 caps locally but I did find #10s and I found some Musket Caps today. Was worried I might have bought the wrong ones. Turns out they are the old hotter 0300 CCI Musket Caps not the weaker 0301. @ 8.99 a can I think I will return and get at least one more tin.

Attachments

• 20230111_124859.jpg
    20230111_124859.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I , at first never thought about owning a flintlock. It was percussion, or nothing. With the price of cap these days, if you can find them, 10 t0 15 cents each is just outrageous. Now, flinters can definitely have their problems, but if the lock is properly tuned, they go off every time. I have had misfires even with CCI and RWS.

You have to pay to play...........how much are flints? It's probably still working out to a nickle per "strike"

I just pay for Rio Musket Caps, or 209's for my rifle with the adapter.

Compared to what I'd need to pay even to load 45-70 or 30-06 for my target rifles , it doesn't seem that bad

You have to pay to play...........how much are flints? It's probably still working out to a nickle per "strike"

I just pay for Rio Musket Caps, or 209's for my rifle with the adapter.

Compared to what I'd need to pay even to load 45-70 or 30-06 for my target rifles , it doesn't seem that bad
Assuming you are paying today's black powder price, the cost is about 2 cents loading the pan. I bought 3 cans of FFFFg back in the early eighties. I haven't finished the first can.
Now for the flints. It's hard to put a price on them. I've had flints last a very long time, over 100, and had a few that didn't see ten shots. I have tried knapping my own flints, and while they are technically free, I had mostly rejects, AND they took a very long time to make. Ain't nuttin free!

Assuming you are paying today's black powder price, the cost is about 2 cents loading the pan. I bought 3 cans of FFFFg back in the early eighties. I haven't finished the first can.
Now for the flints. It's hard to put a price on them. I've had flints last a very long time, over 100, and had a few that didn't see ten shots. I have tried knapping my own flints, and while they are technically free, I had mostly rejects, AND they took a very long time to make. Ain't nuttin free!
Exactly

While not a guy who chews his tobacco twice and then smokes it I'm still fairly frugal. I normally use a flint until the jaws won't hold it. Since I no longer shoot as much as I use to, stuff simply lasts longer. Flints are still relatively inexpensive and just two of them gives at least as many shots as 100 caps and likely more. This even held true before the sky high costs of caps settled in.

I bought a sleeve of RWS caps last year. 2000 caps in a sleeve. I have enough to last me for the rest of my life. My children can divide up what's left over.
About a year and a half ago I pretty much did the same. It was a group buy and the minimum was one 2500 sleeve of RWS 1075s. I got one sleeve, and it averaged out to be about $8.00 per hundred. About six months later I saw some 1075 plus for sale at one of the large muzzle loader online stores. By the time I paid shipping, tax, and HazMat they cost me almost 12.00 per hundred. I now regret I didn't buy two sleeves in the group buy. All water under the bridge now, I'm just happy to have them.
R

I am now down to 7 tins and planning on doing shooting like everything else by slowing down. I figure the least that I do the least I participate in this great land of gougers.

I worked for a number of years with a guy who's 'hobby' was walking (?) When I questioned him about this he said all you need is a decent pair of boots, a waterproof coat and a good map and you are away. His main reason, apart from being the biggest skin-flint I have ever know, was that he can start his walk from the front door of his house and apart from the above items, cost is virtually nil!

Oh I don’t blame you for buying them, you gotta do what you gotta do. I’ve paid close to $15 for some. It’s just hard to swallow. I’d check out the cap making kits from 22 LR too.
As I was reading this I thought why not use .22 cap and well here it is haha, I love it when ppl thing out of the box

Back