• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope.
It's an issue with ALL the manufactures and distributors that has been plaguing us for a few years now.
They do become available fairly frequently, but quickly sell out.
All you can do is continue efforts in search of,, along with everyone else.
Good luck,

The forming gadget can be made with a drill or two and some scrap metal or even a good hardwood. The mix of "stuff" is the harder part. I need to think up a reliable punch to cut the flat metal.

Ingredient can be found here: RL0810 Prime-All Compound for Reloading

Tool can be found here:
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/9716
Really no point in doing it the hard way, if you watch YT videos you'll see with the tool it's fast and easy. Buy and use the tool until you have a good grasp of it, this will solve your cap shortage problem with a 99% success rate until they appear available again which may be soon since a couple of new plants are being created for cap supply and demand. Better learn all you can asap because the videos will be demonetized and took down eventually!

No such thing as a reliable source for anything these days. Good plan is to buy stuff you use on a regular basis and keep a stock pile to draw on when the well runs dry. Locally, I have found caps recently at Fleet Farm and Scheels. As I have enough for a while, I left them for somebody else, but I generally buy them a thousand at a time.

Yikes, I beat the $21.50 at a gunshow, and the guy knew how difficult they were to get. I paid $15 each 100 and should have grabbed the other 3 tins he had while I was there. Was being the nice guy and leaving a few for the next person. Not sure I'll do that again.

Wow, that’s definitely the highest price I’ve heard of. That’s insane.
I haven't had a cap gun since the 90's. With all of the talk about not being able to find caps, I just gritted my teeth and spent the money. I am going to buy a Tap O Cap and try to corner the market on roll caps. I will also learn how to make powder. I have about 200 lbs. of lead, so I am set for quite some time.

I haven't had a cap gun since the 90's. With all of the talk about not being able to find caps, I just gritted my teeth and spent the money. I am going to buy a Tap O Cap and try to corner the market on roll caps. I will also learn how to make powder. I have about 200 lbs. of lead, so I am set for quite some time.
Oh I don’t blame you for buying them, you gotta do what you gotta do. I’ve paid close to $15 for some. It’s just hard to swallow. I’d check out the cap making kits from 22 LR too.

I paid $21.50 for a tin two weeks ago while I was waiting for my rifle to come in. Yesterday I received my number 11 prime all kit. Today it was raining so I spent the day making 100 caps. I put them in the oven at 170° for approximately 45 minutes to dry them out so that I could test them today and they work well. I also took an Eley CB cap .22 pulled the bullet and put some prime all mixture in that and dried it out and that also worked really well.

Attachments

• AA24A1E3-F566-4766-B878-2B58D2B922A2.jpeg
    AA24A1E3-F566-4766-B878-2B58D2B922A2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 30E5A914-F506-4364-9DC0-53E1455D8ADC.jpeg
    30E5A914-F506-4364-9DC0-53E1455D8ADC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • CD9452C6-47F6-4718-A416-6D0D42482004.jpeg
    CD9452C6-47F6-4718-A416-6D0D42482004.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Back