• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: Earlier in the thread I said I would make some percussion caps and try them out.

The dies performed great. The percussion caps are ugly. If you are a perfectionist and everything has to look pretty then this is probably not for you.

I made 20 #11 caps. The following day I mixed one batch of primer mixture and just had enough for the 20 caps. I used 3 drops of acetone to set it and gave it over 24 hours to cure. Probably more like 30 hours but 24 was required.

Today I tried them out with live loads in my Traditions .50 Trapper. My observations were as follows. They fired great. They did dirty up the outside of the gun, more so than the commercial caps. The area around the nipple was the dirtiest and had a rust appearance. I had one cap go off but did not have enough power to ignite the Pyrodex. I replaced the cap and had ignition. I noticed a couple caps lost the powder adhesion in the cap.

So in conclusion I am very happy with the cap makers and primer mixture. The couple deficiencies that were there I would say they were from human error. Am I going to stop buying the commercial caps? No, I will use them for hunting where human error sucks. I am primarily going to use the homemade caps for shooting in the back yard.

Keep in mind the #10 and #11 cap makers are $50.00 each and the priming mixture is $20.00 and you are supposed to get 2000 caps out of it.
After watching their video I have to ask:
Would they work for Revolvers?
They look like they may not have enough grip to hold on with five recoils...?

After watching their video I have to ask:
Would they work for Revolvers?
They look like they may not have enough grip to hold on with five recoils...?

I bought a #10 cap maker but have not used it yet. I am pretty sure they will work on a revolver. They grip pretty good. When I get around to making some and trying them out on my 1858 I will give an update but it will be a while.

Headed back to southern WV today to see some family. Stopped at a gas station/ gun store on my way and begged for some #11s. Guy said he thought he had one tin somewhere. After some digging he found one tin of CCI #11s and sold them to me for $5. I’m good now for a bit.
I know exactly where you were at and the lady there three weeks ago told me they didn’t have any! You got my caps! The gun-store gas station in Pembroke?

I know exactly where you were at and the lady there three weeks ago told me they didn’t have any! You got my caps! The gun-store gas station in Pembroke?

That’s the one. The first guy and the gal said they were out. The older gentleman said he thought they still had some and dug around and found them. Sorry 🤪

Regarding the primer adhesion, I have read other posts where folks mention the mixture sometimes loosing its grip. Have you tried lightly sanding the cap material (aluminum) before forming, like you would do to a slick surface before using epoxy? The bit of tooth might help it stay put. I have no experience with the cap makers, but this sounds interesting.

Regarding the primer adhesion, I have read other posts where folks mention the mixture sometimes loosing its grip. Have you tried lightly sanding the cap material (aluminum) before forming, like you would do to a slick surface before using epoxy? The bit of tooth might help it stay put. I have no experience with the cap makers, but this sounds interesting.

That's a good idea. I'm going to try that out. It won't hurt none, and will only take a few seconds of sanding.

Everyone I have heard of using the prime-all as per instructions has had the mixture crumble and fall out. The fix is very easy. No. one,leave out the little off white bag that comes with the kit. It is supposed to be the binder ( some say gelatin) in any case it does not work. It also is not glass. Now for binders that WILL work.
Most popular is 2 or 3 drops of Duco cement in a table spoon of acetone . A dip stick of a pipe cleaner will yield a big drop into a cap cup. This works very well. Several light coats of hairspray will also work. I have also used 2 drops of Elmers school glue in a table spoon of water ,well mixed.. A few flakes of shellac in denatured alcohol is very good. You get your powders in the cups and press it down firmly. before you add any binder.You can press very hard if you want.I used to put about 40 pounds of pressure . Now I just use hand pressure.

crater fireworks has em but not cheap with shipping n hazmat. By BULK and they a good deal. Has powder too. rws1075 were $85.00 a 1000 but adding expense they right up there. Support the lil guy!

Maybe a dozen years ago I went on a buying spree and bought a couple dozen tins from stores that were going out of business. I’ve gave a lot away but still have enough to last the rest of my days. I’m 65. I went by a local gun store that had plenty of cci #11. I’m in a rural area so maybe that’s why I still see them on stores shelves

Not everyone has been in the sport for decades. Some new people get into it every day and weren’t lucky enough to get a good supply before hand.
Or like me I just bought a B/P revolver that takes #10 caps .I just ordered 1000 for $120 the price is high but in a few days I can be shooting and if some of my friends need some I will be glad to share

Materiel General,

Thank you for the report. I ordered one of these cap-makers and it should be arriving this week. I always like to hedge my bets, so having this capability is nice indeed.

Now that I've got the #11 cap maker and have ordered the #10, I expect Richard Lee will come out with something that costs half as much, goes in a turret press, and cranks out a cap every 10 seconds. Adding the chemicals automatically will be an option.

You guys can thank me when he does. :)

Now that I've got the #11 cap maker and have ordered the #10, I expect Richard Lee will come out with something that costs half as much, goes in a turret press, and cranks out a cap every 10 seconds. Adding the chemicals automatically will be an option.

You guys can thank me when he does. :)
you can thank heaven if he does

I was fortunate to find Scheutzen musket caps at Muzzle-Loader, not cheap, but I shoot quite a few Thompson Center side locks, and having the option to shoot both #11 and four wing musket caps is comforting. I have some of the CCI “multi purpose” caps, but after reading all the negative reviews of the CCI caps, they will be relegated to the range only. I find the larger size musket caps much easier to handle with my old, fat fingers.

Attachments

• 49A810A4-1251-4C91-9FB6-50E9DC910B26.jpeg
    49A810A4-1251-4C91-9FB6-50E9DC910B26.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 11
Update: Earlier in the thread I said I would make some percussion caps and try them out.

The dies performed great. The percussion caps are ugly. If you are a perfectionist and everything has to look pretty then this is probably not for you.

I made 20 #11 caps. The following day I mixed one batch of primer mixture and just had enough for the 20 caps. I used 3 drops of acetone to set it and gave it over 24 hours to cure. Probably more like 30 hours but 24 was required.

Today I tried them out with live loads in my Traditions .50 Trapper. My observations were as follows. They fired great. They did dirty up the outside of the gun, more so than the commercial caps. The area around the nipple was the dirtiest and had a rust appearance. I had one cap go off but did not have enough power to ignite the Pyrodex. I replaced the cap and had ignition. I noticed a couple caps lost the powder adhesion in the cap.

So in conclusion I am very happy with the cap makers and primer mixture. The couple deficiencies that were there I would say they were from human error. Am I going to stop buying the commercial caps? No, I will use them for hunting where human error sucks. I am primarily going to use the homemade caps for shooting in the back yard.

Keep in mind the #10 and #11 cap makers are $50.00 each and the priming mixture is $20.00 and you are supposed to get 2000 caps out of it.
So at 2000, cost per cap $.06, after that cheaper. Guess it depends on how much you shoot. I stocked up when I noticed primers for other reloading got scarce. Bought powder also, believe I’m set for quite some time.

Latest posts

Back