• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A primer mixture called H-48 is used by someone at this purpose. You can find elements easily in the net, but process it's elaborate and it can be very dangerous...

Part of the problem when caps become available is going to be mass panic buying which will cause even more of shortages. It will be a long time before if ever things return to what it was like in years past.

It has been reported that Remington will have caps available soon, there are no reports from CCI on when.

Other than Remington and CCI, there are no U.S. caps manufactured.
Exactly. gun owners are their own worst enemy

The financial services may be reputable but in many of these offerings for percussion caps, blackpowder and some gun sales, the sellers are not as @Southern Bamboo states. Many of those services have no recourse to recover the funds if the seller does not live up to the offering.
Yep. I'm looking at 200-250 tins for a club. No financial recourse is no option for that amount of money.

That's funny.

I worked in Financial Services on Zelle (was Zashpay when at Fiserv internally).

Cash App, PP F&F (keeps them from getting a fee), Zelle (email cash to people) and others from reputable sources are perfectly fine.

Now, they may take your cash and not send you the merchandise, but that has been happening with plain 'ol cash and check since the dawn of time.

You may not like them, but those services are perfectly reputable. I use them all the time. Just sayin'.

Part of the problem when caps become available is going to be mass panic buying which will cause even more of shortages. It will be a long time before if ever things return to what it was like in years past.

It has been reported that Remington will have caps available soon, there are no reports from CCI on when.

Other than Remington and CCI, there are no U.S. caps manufactured.
Other than Remington and CCI, there are no U.S. caps manufactured

I got some Winchester BP Magnum #11 caps. Are they not made by Winchester ?

Last edited:
I saw an interview with a Senator from a party I don't endorse, that found out we citizens were shooting 50 caliber rifles. He said nobody should be allowed to own a machine gun caliber. The good guy kept telling him " they're muzzleloaders" he was still hysterical because " they're 50 caliber and very dangerous" ! I kid you not!

I saw an interview with a Senator from a party I don't endorse, that found out we citizens were shooting 50 caliber rifles. He said nobody should be allowed to own a machine gun caliber. The good guy kept telling him " they're muzzleloaders" he was still hysterical because " they're 50 caliber and very dangerous" ! I kid you not!
I can one up that; there is an Arizona politician who believes that people are working to create a "Fully Automatic Flintlock".
I kid you not, first I heard about it then I saw him in an interview. The interviewer was laughing and trying to explain how a muzzleloader works but the politician just dug in and INSISTED that he has been told and said "We Must regulate them before they succeed"

Now, you can laugh all you want but these are the people who make Laws.

I can one up that; there is an Arizona politician who believes that people are working to create a "Fully Automatic Flintlock".
I kid you not, first I heard about it then I saw him in an interview. The interviewer was laughing and trying to explain how a muzzleloader works but the politician just dug in and INSISTED that he has been told and said "We Must regulate them before they succeed"

Now, you can laugh all you want but these are the people who make Laws.

Anyone remember the congresscritter who stated there was no need to worry about high cap magazines, ‘cause once they are empty, they are no use to the user!?

Headed back to southern WV today to see some family. Stopped at a gas station/ gun store on my way and begged for some #11s. Guy said he thought he had one tin somewhere. After some digging he found one tin of CCI #11s and sold them to me for $5. I’m good now for a bit.

I received my cap maker from sharpshooter 22 yesterday. It took about a week to get here after I ordered it online. I also ordered the primer compound. I also happened to be in a Cabelas last weekend and picked up German made capgun caps for about $3-4 for 1200. I hadn’t seen them locally for a year. I should be set if I get around to making some. I ordered the #11 cap maker.

I tried out my cat maker the other day and made about 30 caps. I'm going to put the priming mixture in the caps later today.

I have been strongly considering picking up on of those cap makers. Please let us know how yours turn out.

Update: Earlier in the thread I said I would make some percussion caps and try them out.

The dies performed great. The percussion caps are ugly. If you are a perfectionist and everything has to look pretty then this is probably not for you.

I made 20 #11 caps. The following day I mixed one batch of primer mixture and just had enough for the 20 caps. I used 3 drops of acetone to set it and gave it over 24 hours to cure. Probably more like 30 hours but 24 was required.

Today I tried them out with live loads in my Traditions .50 Trapper. My observations were as follows. They fired great. They did dirty up the outside of the gun, more so than the commercial caps. The area around the nipple was the dirtiest and had a rust appearance. I had one cap go off but did not have enough power to ignite the Pyrodex. I replaced the cap and had ignition. I noticed a couple caps lost the powder adhesion in the cap.

So in conclusion I am very happy with the cap makers and primer mixture. The couple deficiencies that were there I would say they were from human error. Am I going to stop buying the commercial caps? No, I will use them for hunting where human error sucks. I am primarily going to use the homemade caps for shooting in the back yard.

Keep in mind the #10 and #11 cap makers are $50.00 each and the priming mixture is $20.00 and you are supposed to get 2000 caps out of it.

Back