• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a big let down today. Someone posted on here that "The Gunworks" in Oregon had percussion caps. I got online and ordered some #11s. I also ordered a few accessories to fill out the order due to the shipping and hazmat fee. All went well until this morning. I got a call from a real nice lady from "The Gunworks". She call to inform me that they could not ship out the percussion caps due to store policy. They have some but are only selling to walk in customers. Nothing on the website that I read, gave any indication that sales were for walk in customers only. I was polite and canceled the rest of the order because they were small items and the shipping was still going to be high. Oh well, the hunt will continues.

Many retail stores that would ship pre-COVID are limiting ammo and reloading supplies to local customers to serve their community better. There is a gunshop here that will not sell ammo or reloading items unless you show your driver's license to prove you live in the county. They also will not sell powder unless you buy bullets as well. It's their way to keep things local. They limit the powder to one container but at least they have some on the shelf.

Had a big let down today. Someone posted on here that "The Gunworks" in Oregon had percussion caps. I got online and ordered some #11s. I also ordered a few accessories to fill out the order due to the shipping and hazmat fee. All went well until this morning. I got a call from a real nice lady from "The Gunworks". She call to inform me that they could not ship out the percussion caps due to store policy. They have some but are only selling to walk in customers. Nothing on the website that I read, gave any indication that sales were for walk in customers only. I was polite and canceled the rest of the order because they were small items and the shipping was still going to be high. Oh well, the hunt will continues.
Did the same thing and the nice lady explained that post read 04/4/21 not 22 !

Yea it is a bummer shipping anything with a hazmat fee is a problem some people don't want to bother with. It would have been nice of them to state in their site what they wll not ship.

They are a great place to do business with, if that is the worst thing about the place, it is still a good day.

Look at the bright side, the locals can get caps where they live and support their local store.

Last edited:
One of my best friends has a large local gun shop. He orders tons of ammo and primers but he doesn’t carry percussion caps. He put in an order for me for 10,000 #11s four months ago. As of yet no word on when they will arrive. I’m a member of a muzzleloading club and most of our members aren’t internet savvy to keep up with who has caps so I plan on sharing/selling the caps to members for what I have in them. I have enough to last me for a while but I know others do not. I’m glad that I’ve planned ahead over the years and have always hoarded ammo and caps for times like these. If a person doesn’t have any caps at this point you might just be out of the game for a year or more unless you get lucky.

Have seen some here and there online but they want payment by cash app, pp friends and family, venom and such. Dang absurd. I don't think any of those have any financial guarantees.

Not everyone has been in the sport for decades. Some new people get into it every day and weren’t lucky enough to get a good supply before hand.

TScott,
I had been playing in the BPCR hobby for several years and just last year I decided to play with both BPCR and my muzzleloaders. Since last year I have bought several muzzleloaders to play with. One is a flintlock. I introduced my wife to the hobby last week and she likes it because we can do it together. I hedged several years ago and bought a few thousand cartridge primers. I have about four hundred percussion caps but it is not going to be enough if the wife keeps shooting. I never thought there would be a shortage. I got plenty of powder for now and will order a few pounds every so often when available. I wasn't at the last rodeo so did not anticipate the shortage. No worries, I will get by. May just have to shoot flintlocks. :) Just ordered a Kibler a few days ago.

I was going through some stuff today that I got from a guy at a gun show a couple of years ago. One item was a box of Traditions .44 marked balls. I had looked in it before and the plastic bag with balls was in it. Today I took the bag of balls out and under it was two new tins of Remington #10 caps.

TScott,
I had been playing in the BPCR hobby for several years and just last year I decided to play with both BPCR and my muzzleloaders. Since last year I have bought several muzzleloaders to play with. One is a flintlock. I introduced my wife to the hobby last week and she likes it because we can do it together. I hedged several years ago and bought a few thousand cartridge primers. I have about four hundred percussion caps but it is not going to be enough if the wife keeps shooting. I never thought there would be a shortage. I got plenty of powder for now and will order a few pounds every so often when available. I wasn't at the last rodeo so did not anticipate the shortage. No worries, I will get by. May just have to shoot flintlocks. :) Just ordered a Kibler a few days ago.

I hear you. I ran out of rimfire the last rodeo. I have enough to last me a lifetime now and I don’t cry like others when I shoot it as I got it cheap. I have a ton of center fire primers as well. I just got back into muzzleloading this year, had one tin of primers and have bought two more muzzleloaders. Ugh 🤪

I just checked on their www and they state that after 4-15-2021 no caps will be shipped or sold! I too made a fair size order today from The Gun Works and did not try ordering caps which I could use as well. Hope you can locate some. good luck.

Back