percussion caps

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Bruce

32 Cal
Reaction score
just got some #11 it says magnum on can what gun or load are they esed for Bruce

Old Hawkeye

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Any gun that takes a regular #11 cap. They just burn with a little hotter flame, supposedly, to help get more reliable ignition. They don't change pressures or anything else.

Last edited:

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.
Reaction score
When they first came out with the magnum caps some people claimed that they enlarged their groups. I haven't heard anything about that for several years. I can't tell the difference between the magnum and regular caps when shooting.I shoot what ever I can get with no problems.

renegadehunter

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
They'll work just fine on any #11 nipple like said above.
About the only difference you may notice is that they can tend to blow apart so much that they get stuck in the hammer cup. On my Renegade they get stuck more than they don't in my experience. Probably has a lot to do with cup to nipple fit too though, may be fine on yours.

Tenring

40 Cal
Reaction score
I fire these in my production pistols with factory nipples and with sliyx shot nipples if there a little big I give it a little pinch, hay in these days I buy what ever I can get at a so called reasonable price. Go for it you will be fine..

mooman76

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Some guns have trouble with substitute powders and mag primers can help with that.

rp77469

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have tried both Winchester and CCI magnums. They work fine. I could see no difference in grouping or point of impact compared to regular Winchester and CCI caps. Shoot what you got.

Grenadier1758

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The only difference I have seen between the normal and the magnum caps was in a pistol that was designed to stop the hammer fall just before the hammer contacted the nipple but would fire the caps. There was enough wear in the hammer cavity that a CCI #11 cap would not fire but the CCI #11 magnum cap would fire.

45man

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Like a wise man said, use what you can get because they work fine.