• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion Caps.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotag84

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Ok, it has been several years since I bought percussion caps. I have a rifle and a revolver. Back then I could go to the local big box and buy a tin of each, looks like that isn't the case now. Online isn't much better. So, couple of questions;
  • Can I use #10 and #11 caps interchangeably? In the past I used one for rifles the other for pistols. Is it a matter of whether on not they fit the nipple?
  • What is with the #209. Can they be used on 'standard' nipple or do they require a special nipple? If so, will they fit the threads for standard nipples?
Thanks!

The # 209 uses a special nipple. This is a much hotter modern primer that is needed when used with #209 substitute powder. In my opinion, don't bother with the #209.

There are minor differences between #10 and #11 caps. There is more difference between brands. In the end it is the matter of using the cap that fits the nipple. Most rifles will use #11. In a pistol, it depends on whether the nipple is original or replaced. Most revolvers come with nipples sized for #10 caps. If the revolver's nipples have been replaced, then the caps may be #11.

Thanks for the info. I did stumble upon info regarding making your own caps. Buying a jig, use aluminum can for material and rimfire priming powder. I like to try DIY and see how it comes out.

Think about it @rotag84, there's a reason why the Tap-O-Cap percussion cap making device is no longer available in the retail market. The resulting caps were not very reliable. Perhaps with a lot of the rimfire priming powder instead of the roll caps, there might be a chance. I'll rely on CCI and RWS.

'Think about it @rotag84, there's a reason why the Tap-O-Cap percussion cap making device is no longer available in the retail market. The resulting caps were not very reliable. Perhaps with a lot of the rimfire priming powder instead of the roll caps, there might be a chance. I'll rely on CCI and RWS.'

OK, good to know. Perhaps it is just the timing on my part that now I was looking to buy some more caps but I understand they are in short supply at retailers. What I did find online requires a ridiculous 'hazmat fee'.

The company that sells the rimfire reloader kit has a #11 percussion cap maker. The caps are punched and formed from soft drink or beer can metal. They are primed with same compound they sell to prime the 22 rimfire cases. Their site has short video on both the primer and the #11 caps.

Ok, it has been several years since I bought percussion caps. I have a rifle and a revolver. Back then I could go to the local big box and buy a tin of each, looks like that isn't the case now. Online isn't much better. So, couple of questions;
  • Can I use #10 and #11 caps interchangeably? In the past I used one for rifles the other for pistols. Is it a matter of whether on not they fit the nipple?
  • What is with the #209. Can they be used on 'standard' nipple or do they require a special nipple? If so, will they fit the threads for standard nipples?
Thanks!

First off, there is NO shortage at this time in BP supplies. What has happened is many places carry inventory based on what is selling. With the overall decline in traditional BP shooting, brick and mortar places are not going to stock very slow moving inventory, hence no caps and other BP supplies on the shelves. Couple that with the regulations on storage and handling of BP and presto, what looks like a shortage but has actually been going on for some time.

Second, there IS a shortage in reloading supplies in the modern ammo world and some of that HAS spilled over to muzzleloading with inlines etc, but this forum doesn’t deal with any of that.

How to fix that problem? Introduce more folks to the fun of traditional muzzleloading! Demand creates supply, not the other way round.

Need caps and powder? Try this guy, he normally supplies the N-SSA guys but with the current plague scare, his business has been off a bit. Support the little guys who support you!

http://blackpowderva.com/

The #209 primers are a shotgun primer and they require a special primer cup to replace the nipple. You need a very hot cap to fire the 209 muzzle loading substitute powder. Much better off with standard caps and real black powder or as a second choice the substitutes, Pyrodex, Triple Seven or APP.

Thanks!
I think the 209 is for in-line modern ML guns; it's actually a shotgun primer, if I'm not mistaken. 10's & 11's are diff. sizes, I forget which is smaller off hand. There's always some more knowledgeable to correct guys like me!

Blackhorn 209 powder can be ignited by using a small booster charge of black powder.
More than one person reported that loading 5 grains of black powder under BlackHorn 209 powder will ignite it.
That's how some have used it in a traditional rifle and in a Ruger Old Army revolver.
I'm not advocating it and haven't tried it, only reporting it.

There may not be a shortage but Midway only has RWS #11 caps and it is listed as mixed availability and currently out of stock so no percussion caps from midway. no musket, no. 10 11 etc all out of stock.... Graff and sons has case lots only. i think there is a shortage no matter what anyone says. i am sure glad i had a buddy order some and he made a mistake and ordered me a case of number 11 and a case of musket caps. and i also have a flintlock. i say if you can find caps you better buy them.

I have seen some 'musket caps' for sale, describe as 'four wing musket caps'. Can these be used on an in-line or traditional style percussion rifled muzzle loader???

I have seen some 'musket caps' for sale, describe as 'four wing musket caps'. Can these be used on an in-line or traditional style percussion rifled muzzle loader???
Yes, if the cone is the correct size and geometry AND if the hammer can strike it correctly, ie not sized for iddy biddy #10-11 caps

Yes, if the cone is the correct size and geometry AND if the hammer can strike it correctly, ie not sized for iddy biddy #10-11 caps
Anyone using these successfully for a modern in-line? I have a Knight I haven't shot in a while, also a Cabella's kit built .50 cal percussion rifle but can't find #11 caps. Can the 'musket caps' for squeezed to work on these??

Back