• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caps.

I have all the Authentic Colt Series and a few select Signature Series. I ve been firing the Authentic Colts since the 80s. I ve discovered that proper fitting caps are the only way. What s the best fitting cap?,- When the cap is placed, and it is almost fully seated, it should require a little push to seat it all the way (I have re-sized the cones in some cases for this). If the cap must be forced 'home' it can break the fulminate seal, which could cause cap failure. Also after being capped for any period of time, this broken seal causes humdity etc to cause cap failure. Having to force the cap on usually results in some failures to explode due to the cap not being seated all the way. Pinching the cap also more than not, breaks the seal, with the added bonus of being more prone to falling into the lock work, thereby jamming.

I use C-10/11, R10/11/12. I made the effort to stamp the cap size on the flaps of the pouches (holsters), as well as having a cap tin for each size, which has a tag with the cap size. When I go out 'Ranging', I can select the pistols and the cap tins with ease. By looking at the flap and tin label. works quite well.
I actually don t recall the last cap failure/jam I ve had.

Attachments

• 2020-09-23 23.07.25.jpg
    2020-09-23 23.07.25.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 103
Very nice folks to do business with.

Dealing with them is like getting the gold card out, too much temptation.

Thanks for all the replies and information. I picked up a Uberti 1861 in .36 from a member of my club. He threw in 10 tins of 1075's. They fit the CVA 1861 but are loose on the Uberti so now to find some Rem #10's which seem to be nowhere in stock.

I cleaned up the CVA after 40 years of sitting in a box in my safe. The cold bluing on the barrel could be better but it looks and works much better. I will need to do a trigger job at some point.

Before.

View attachment 44148

After

View attachment 44149

The CVA .44 and Uberti .36

View attachment 44150

Anyone know what the extra screw on the side of the Uberti frame is for?
The recoil shield is cut out for a shoulder stock. The extra screw should protrude out from the frame and engage the shoulder stock. Do you have a notch at the bottom of the grip? That's for the shoulder stock J-hook to clamp the stock to the pistol.

Go to the shoulder stock messages and you will see that extra screw in use.

Back