• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mostly CCI here as well. I have found that Remington #10s do fit some pistols better. Also I have been using some Shuetzen musket caps, I got from Graf's on my Cook and Brother and Remington contract replicas.

I've mostly shot CCI for the last 35 years or so. Remingtons way back had a problem with the primer falling out of the caps in the tin, like a quarter of them, so I quit buying those. I am sure that problem is fixed after three decades. I found some Winchester regular and magnums on sale at wallyworld in TN a year or two ago. They worked just fine and did not change impact as far as I can tell, but did not bench the rifle. Still have several tins of them left but back to CCI again. I can't tell the difference between CCI regular and magnum caps, except have not seen the magnums for sale in a long time. I think the day of the cheap, no-name cap is long gone. Most, if not all, of the brands still around are good.

I've used all kinds of caps over the years and have never noticed much difference in them other than an occasional difference in fitting on the nipple.

When I started shooting black, in 1980, Remington caps were all you could find here. Yea they sucked, the compound fell out of a bunch of them.
The first CCI caps were so hot, got plenty of shrapnel shooting left handed, but they dang sure went BANG. I saved them for hunting big critters back in the day.
I still use mostly CCI, Midway had an online coupon waiving hazmat last year, I bought a 3000.
I still have some German musket caps, a friend brought me a sleeve of them from Winchester several years ago.

CCI caps are pretty good, but RWS caps are very good, but are hard to find.
When ever I do see them, I pick up a couple thousand, if they are available.
The can has a red paper cover with RWS on top.
Have a great Day!
Fred
I use both CCI and RWS. Whatever I can get really. I have found RWS slightly narrower. So they did not fit my GPR real well.

I have used CCI and winchester caps mostly. The remington caps are a few thousandths taller and don't fit in my capper as well and get jammed up.

I use what I can find. You can't always find an assortment of them but I guess if I had a choice I would go with CCI. RWS are a little more expensive but also work very well, in fact I don't have a problem with any of them currently. I remember the old Remington ones, I didn't have near the problem with mine that others are saying, just occasional ones with no compound so I had to make sure I looked before installing but the really old CVAs were the worst I ever had. A solid brass cup that had poor fit and once you did get it to fire after a couple 2 or 3 strikes, you had to pry the cap off the nipple.

I like CCI because they work in my ted cash cappers. The Remington caps I have are smooth and slick on the outside and won’t stay in the on deck position, they are pretty old. Do the new Remington caps have the little straight ribs around them like CCI caps do?

When I want my guns to go BANG when I pull the Tricker I use either Fiocci's or Eley No.16's(I still have a box or 2 I mistakenly bought at an auction about 40 years ago) Both are corrosive but go Bang.. The F3/16's are water proofed with a foil lining and have always made fire even after a dunking in the tide on the sea bank. (F4/21 or24 are very similar to modern No.11's) .I don't go the tides any more ! but still keep my TWIGG 10b with Nock breach(1805) and percussioned in about 1825.Getting older OLD DOG..

Last edited:
Smokey,
You must be shooting pistols. #10 caps by anyone, won't work on 1/4X28 rifle nipples.

I've have very good luck over the years with cci caps. last year finished using up some that were over 30yrs old and looked terrible on the outside but all went bang. the only cap I ever had to misfire was a remmington #11. found that the igniition material fell out of the cap when I picked it up and put it on the nipple. the little green patch was laying on the shooting bench.

Latest posts

Back