• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion caps coming back?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only hope that as they come out individuals are reasonable in thier purchasing so as not to strip the shelves/develop the hoarding situation so prevalent with centerfire components/ammo over the past few years. It is a self created vacuum. Buy what you need, and allow others to do the same. We all will benefit much more quickly.

I only hope that as they come out individuals are reasonable in thier purchasing so as not to strip the shelves/develop the hoarding situation so prevalent with centerfire components/ammo over the past few years. It is a self created vacuum. Buy what you need, and allow others to do the same. We all will benefit much more quickly.
Agree. Nothing wrong with someone who is active in the hobby to buy a couple of thousand caps. Then there are the knuckleheads that suck up the stocks to turn around and rape people online with super high stupid prices. Ruins it for everyone. 🤬

Keeping a reserve of several years worth of shooting supplies will keep you from worrying about shortages. You don't have to buy them all at once but buy them whenever you see them. Several thousand of my caps were bought back in the 80's. I can say the same about all of my modern loading supplies as well. This latest lack of supplies didn't bother me at all.
As I have said many times here, be prepared.

It's a conundrum. Buy them all so you never run short, and then everyone does this and so there are constant shortages.

Ultimately it is the manufacturer's fault. If demand is this high, with people waving cash in their faces, they should be meeting that demand. This is the first time in my life I have ever seen a failure of capitalism at this scale. The only thing I can figure is that people see war with China coming over Taiwan just as it did with Russia/Crimea and they are pulling out their supply chains from China. Lots of companies saw themselves shut out of Russia (my employer did) and so are taking steps to protect themselves when the same thing goes down with China.

Anyway, I shoot competitively. I go through about 500 musket caps a month, supporting 3 shooters in my family. I buy these things 5,000 at a go. Not trying to hoard, just keep up!

Whats the Worry?

Attachments

• IMG_20230503_154012299.jpg
    IMG_20230503_154012299.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I can sit and make a run of 100 #10s or #11s in a couple of hours. The next day they are ready to shoot. I'd like to have some factory caps to put up, just because they will probably last longer. But not concerned about running out when I can make my own.

Agree. Nothing wrong with someone who is active in the hobby to buy a couple of thousand caps. Then there are the knuckleheads that suck up the stocks to turn around and rape people online with super high stupid prices. Ruins it for everyone. 🤬
Preaching to the choir pal. The people that suck up the stock ain't never gonna read your or the other guys post here so why do you write this nonsense?

I'm getting low and am probably going to start making them. The occasional availability is priced beyond reason even considering all the economic and social problems of the past few years.

I can sit and make a run of 100 #10s or #11s in a couple of hours. The next day they are ready to shoot. I'd like to have some factory caps to put up, just because they will probably last longer. But not concerned about running out when I can make my own.
Do you need different tools for the two different sizes?

Back