• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Percussion caps and powders out of stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Be aware the Midway RWS #11 caps are PLUS power, not the regular red plastic cup. May not be suited to C&B revolvers...
I've used CCI #11 Magnums on cap and ballers, in fact I just popped one on my new 51 Navy and it was louder than a .22......I'm sure the RWS will do ok

They're probably made for those weird Remington Rider /ZimmerSchutzen indoor gallery guns that use a #11 cap only as the propellant but I guess we'll see what we get. Can always use them on rifles

making primer compound is a good way to have your next-of-kin divide up your plunder.
That compound is an explosive that is very sensitive to shock. This is about as bright as making your own black powder which is another thing you should NOT try to do.
Exasperated by stupidity
Bunk
Honestly if it gets to the point where I'm trying to make my own percussion caps I guess I'm gonna have to hang 'em up and probably get the "unmentionables " ready for Civil War II

Check with your mom and pop stores.some of them still have powder and caps. Visited one of my favorite small shop and they have over 50 #10s and many #11s.

I have a few near me, I'll have to stop in. The panickers don't tend to clean out the local Sporting Goods/Sub Shop that also sells gear for muzzleloading hunting season (I have one near me )

I am afraid it will be a few years before stuff is available in quantity, and then, the permanent price increase. Add a “ executive order” banning imports of shooting supplies, and things will really be in high demand. Gun control morons have realized the direct approach doesn’t work, so they will go the “price it out of existence “ route.

I am afraid it will be a few years before stuff is available in quantity, and then, the permanent price increase. Add a “ executive order” banning imports of shooting supplies, and things will really be in high demand. Gun control morons have realized the direct approach doesn’t work, so they will go the “price it out of existence “ route.
So we can all sit on our firearms and stockpiles of supplies for the rest of our lives, going out to "light off a couple rounds " periodically.

The ATF says they don't have the manpower to "seize" firearms but Legislation can pass to make it so prohibitive to get components, nobody will shoot for recreational purposes.

Imagine if you had to wait 6 months for a one time use permit to purchase 2 lbs of black powder at a time. You'd never shoot any. This is why we have to stay alert now and support organizations besides the NRA , the smaller firearms rights organizations lobby hard for us too.

A friend of mine, and member of the forum, just ordered 2500 caps off Midwayusa.com. Paid $12 Hazmat. Still shows available. View attachment 58254
These are great caps in my opinion. Always light up blackpowder. A little smaller than CCI or Remington (all stocked up with 10s and 11s of them too). Didn’t actually ‘need’, but purchased 5k of them. Little over $0.056 each delivered. Doubt we will see better price going forward, but really doesn’t matter. Bird in the hand beats the one in the bush.

Just got 2500 myself. I'm almost 70 and with the addition of 2500 more caps I have enough stuff to last me the rest of my life in both Black Powder and unmentionables, all laid away a little at a time when the price was right. Savvy shooters were able to keep shooting and hunting during WW2 because they had the foresight to stock up when Winds of War starting blowing, laying in bullets, bullet casting equipment, powder and primers to hand load when the supply of civilian ammo dried up. Besides if you have plenty you can always share with less fortunate family and friends.

Besides if you have plenty you can always share with less fortunate family and friends.
I have and will continue to share, but if you announce ahead of time, many will stand there with there hand out and get mad if you don’t ‘share’ enough. Then once you share, they complain about what you shared.

I have and will continue to share, but if you announce ahead of time, many will stand there with there hand out and get mad if you don’t ‘share’ enough. Then once you share, they complain about what you shared.
A lifetimes experience has taught me to chose my friends and family contacts wisely ;).

I just recently purchased an Uberti 1873 Cattleman Black Powder pistol. I have one tin of #10 caps and am wanting to know if I can use #11 Winchester Magnum caps instead with out any issues.

Honestly, I'm actually inherently lazy and spend a lot more time talking about shooting , or planning to go shooting then actually shooting.

So I'm still at the point where I'll move a bag in my basement and find 600 rounds of "unmentionable " ammo like "oh yeah I bought all this for the Match I was gonna shoot 4 summers ago and didn't go to.

I'm all stocked up on powder, caps and balls so that maybe after 5 failed attempts to make it to the range I'll actually go in April and use some.

I'm honestly more intent on shopping for storage units/ safes and safe dehumidifiers to keep what I have safe and usable , so I can pop off a monthly handful of rounds and never have to worry about it.

You have to find humor in stuff and here it is , 2021 , and we're talking about stocking up on components and shooting sparingly with our percussion and flint firearms.....because the exact reason most of our ancestors didn't fire their weapons a lot , was because they didn't have easy access to supplies

I have read online about guys who have used plastic cap gun caps without any issues (except a tight fit). I am going to order some to try myself... I am anxious to see of they work considering they are like $3 per hundred, AND they come strung together which may even work as a capper of sorts. Anyone here actually try this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back