• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion caps and powders out of stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1.https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/products/11-percussion-cap-maker. He produces an excellent product line
2. learn how to make your own caps and primer compounds.

Decades ago my brother and went in a small gun shop run by an old guy (60-70) who had hunted with a percussion long rifle when he was a kid. My brother had taken his 1836 Lancaster rifle to him to get into shooting condition if safe. The shop was full of modern arms, nothing black powder to be seen but as we talked he kept handling and shouldering Steve's rifle. He told us being poor they couldn't afford cartridges so he hunted with store bought black powder but made his own caps from foil and "Barn Burner" white tips, Barn Burners being strike anywhere wooden matches. I've seen cap making kits are available (or were) to make your own caps. Jailhouse guns have been made using match heads for propellant so if it comes down to it we maybe in the future be discussing how many books of match heads gives your best group at 50 yards ;)
I recall the old white-tips, they were more flammable than the modern "strike anywhere"; the safety dictators must have gotten to them...

1.https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/products/11-percussion-cap-maker. He produces an excellent product line

Great idea! I watched the guys videos. I never knew until now that home made percussion caps were possible to make and also reloading .22LR ammunition. I've bookmarked the website. I little steep on the price for the tool and priming compound material but worth it if caps get completely dried up to buy in the next couple of years.

Didn’t realize it was against the law to sell powder, I was about to mention my father in law (being a member of NSSA that has become too old to shoot) has Dynamit Nobel German percussion primers No1081, 3 1000 unit boxes and a butt load of powder in southeast Alabama.
That stuff needs a new home, guess I’ll have to figure something else out.

I mean ya just sell the stuff face to face and it's fine. I've bought quite a few old cans of half empty Elephant 3f at garage sales. Just don't ship it.

Musket caps are in stock last I checked, pretty much everywhere because far fewer people are shooting stuff that uses them.

I just think all these people went freaky nuts over the percussion revolvers.

Production has slowed in Italy because the pair of Walkers I Backordered on SG that were due in late January just got moved to April.

Honestly if you need to scratch the itch to shoot projectiles at targets a Flinter smoothbore is probably your best bet. Cast your own balls, stock up on flints and powder and there ya go. Dig the balls out of the backstop if you're really cheap

Just thought I would pass this along, go to POWDER VALLEY web site seem they have powder GOEX AND SWISS not sure about caps.

Finding caps seems to be a matter of luck. The only ones I see right now are the RWS #11 caps at Midwayusa. Your best bet may be to come across some at a local gun shop that hasn't sold out yet. Powder, in some sizes and makers, is available at Grafs and the other online dealers.

After the shortage a few years ago I started to build up a supply of powder, caps, and flints so I don't have to panic buy now. Caps were especially hard hit last time and were slow to come back.

Jeff

I have always kept sufficient stocks due to living rurally most often. Been keeping more on hand since 2008/09 shortages. Have a few K of 10's, 11's and 11mags. An not to forget 100+ of assorted flints I think. I have enough powder to supply a company. I have 2K #+ of lead, range lead and 12# of tin. I don't horde it per say just buy it up when a good deal comes along or I have inherited one way or another. I do share when necessary with my Compatriots who are close to me when they are low or give to some one new to the sport to get them going. Did I say that I have balls? You bet and elongated long range ones too.

I inadvertently stocked up over the years at gun shows, at the mom and pop tables , buying old dusty tins of CCI #11's. I rarely even use them, I always stock up on musket caps which are always hard to find. If not for CAS matches I wouldn't even worry about it .

I ordered 1,000 from Wholesale Hunter too, just for my revolvers.

Otherwise I guess I'll just get some bonding time in with my 2 Flintlock. 69's

Midway has the RWS caps back in stock so of course I ordered them.....I'm sure I'll find some fellow enthusiasts in need down the road at a match or something.

I'm trying to stay optimistic and hope we can push through 4 years of this manure and someone who isn't trying to crush our rights wins in 2024.

Be aware the Midway RWS #11 caps are PLUS power, not the regular red plastic cup. May not be suited to C&B revolvers...

making primer compound is a good way to have your next-of-kin divide up your plunder.
That compound is an explosive that is very sensitive to shock. This is about as bright as making your own black powder which is another thing you should NOT try to do.
Exasperated by stupidity
Bunk

As others have mentioned about caps. If you go to midway you have to search PERCUSSION CAPS RWS 1075 PLUS caps=CCI Magnums
The cost of caps, tax, freight & Hazmat will be less than $160 for 2500 caps.
1610525255083.png

This shortage is even worse than the panic of 2016. When it started, a local retailer raised price of black powder by $5., probably more by now. Guys are paying .50 cents/per for the modern Para bellum ammo.! Wonder if lead has gone up? People were hoarding even modern primers back then; nothing's available now. Glad when this is all over, at least the new lawmakers won't be paying attention to muzzleloading stuff, unless you have a "high-cap" one!

They WILL be paying attention THIS time.
We are living in the New Normal.
We will not be going back to 2019 and earlier conditions. Ever.

Anyone that thinks this stuff is going away any time soon is mistaken.
We are about to see things that we hoped we would never see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back