• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion caps and other supplies during the last shortage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer12345

40 Cal
Reaction score
I wasn't shooting muzzleloaders when the last panic/run on gun stuff happened, so I wasn't paying attention to what happened then. Did percussion caps, black powder, black powder substitutes, etc. become scarce at that time? Just trying to make sure I have enough salted away for whenever the next run happens.

Yes, things were hard to find for those who did not have a good inventory.

Couldn't find #11 caps anywhere during the last drought along with .22 ammo and boxer primers. I've stockpiled enough caps and primers to carry through another shortage and have learned to make my own BP if necessary.

Yup. Caps got scarce. There are some videos on you tube about how to make them yourself out of aluminum cans and cap gun caps. I never had to resort to that, but it's nice to know it can be done. There are reloading kits out there for .22 shells too. They use white heads of kitchen matches as the primer compound. About 10 of them per .22 shell is what I recall. You've got to be pretty hard up for shells to have to resort to that. It was not an easy or fast process.

Yeah, I can't imagine being that desperate for 22 shells. Its cheap now, time to buy if you don't have enough put by. I have started picking up a couple tins of caps every time I walk into Sportsmans Warehouse. Will keep that up until I feel like I have enough on hand. Probably should stack up some more black powder sub.

Never hurts to have a few extras. I got another Drs. appointment next week in the " big city". I guess I'll stop by the sporting goods store and pick up some caps. We already know from experience that they have a long shelf life.

One thing about stockpiling caps or most anything else "perishable: Date it when you get it. Then shoot the oldest stuff first as you bring new into the house. Treat them like eggs and use the oldest first.
Great point. Date all my cap, primer and powder purchases, BP and smokeless. Currently working through the #11 caps purchased in 1990. Would purchase 10k at a time to get a price break. Now greatful because it is unlikely that I will ever run out. Knock on wood. Still in the buy mode when I see a deal.
upload_2019-5-24_0-5-21.jpeg

If you want to do a little extra work, I recall during the last panic that some fellas were taking small pistol or rifle primers, and removing the anvils. The result was effectively a # 11 cap, though the cup metal was a bit on the hard side compared to the copper cups we're more used to.

One more bit of advice: Protect the tins of stored caps from sharp impacts or perhaps even lots of jostling. With age Remington caps in particular appear prone to shedding their little primer pellets. My bud had his carton on the back of his work bench where it got knocked around pretty good sometimes. When he pulled them out to start using them last year, something close to half had shed their pellets. I have mine nice and secure on the back of a shelf inside a cabinet, and mine bought at the same time only had a few loose pills. Needless to say, I moved mine to the front of the shelf and used them up right away.

Dunno how widespread the loose pellet thing might be, because I haven't seen it in other brands. But why take chances if you really intend for this stuff to last for years or decades?

I've seen the loose primer pellets with Remington #11 caps also. They were probably 25 years old and came with a Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter I picked up at a pawn shop. The ones that still had the primer compound present worked just fine. Using rifle or pistol primers is pretty easy I've been told, you need a short piece of clear poly tubing that goes over the nipple which holds the cap in place. I've even used berdan primers as replacements for #11 caps, made a replacement nipple out of a stainless steel screw that was laying around just to see if it could be done.
All in all it's just easier to stockpile when the stuff is available. :)

If you want to do a little extra work, I recall during the last panic that some fellas were taking small pistol or rifle primers, and removing the anvils. The result was effectively a # 11 cap, though the cup metal was a bit on the hard side compared to the copper cups we're more used to

Back