• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion cap shortage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A gentleman has posted his "recipe" for making reliable percussion caps with the cap maker gizmo, and good quality paper cap-gun caps, and Duco cement on "another message board". I may break down and order the cap maker gizmo....

If you read some of the fascinating cavalry reports War between the States , especially first hand and that of the CSA units, mostly they struck close with total, even audacious surprise, two cap and ball revolvers, one in hand, one in 44 on pommel, and a 12 ga shotgun, buck/ball generally reserved for evasive action. Their effectiveness, at the time, was without doubt. They developed little regard for the sabre over time. They were cool headed, good shooters, better riders, knew how to bluff and were all business. Given that they were not idiots, able to carefully chose time and place to best effect with their chosen modus operandi, they would be very effective even today with cap arms. No doubt

If you have an old set of nipples that fit #10 CCI caps You can use the plastic caps. I have a tap-o-cap from years ago. I made some with five toy caps and Duco glue today for my cap and ball revolvers today. They worked good but they are time-consuming to make and you have to use a nipple pick to clean the nipples. Cap lock rifles work better. Make the caps with two toy caps and charge the nipple with FFF or FFFF using a nipple charger.

i'm in good shape. About ten years ago i bought a big bunch of #11 caps at Gene Sears Supply for $2.99 a hundred.

BTW: Muzzleloading deer season is quickly approaching. All muzzleloader stuff is flying off the shelves.

If you get a nipple that will work with #10 caps, Powder Inc. has CCI #10's. They also have #11 RWS.

Latest posts

Back