• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion cap rifle by Jack Crockford

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmorton31411

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have inherited a percussion cap rifle made by Jack Crockford. Fired it as a boy back in the 1970s, not fired since then to my knowledge. In great shape looking at it's condition. Stored in gun safe with humidity packs. What caliber might it be.....what do I need to know about it?

Attachments

• Percussion cap by Jack Crockford.jpg
    Percussion cap by Jack Crockford.jpg
    707.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Percussion cap by Jack Crockford percussion area.jpg
    Percussion cap by Jack Crockford percussion area.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Percussion cap by Jack Crockford name.jpg
    Percussion cap by Jack Crockford name.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Percussion cap by Jack Crockford barrel end.jpg
    Percussion cap by Jack Crockford barrel end.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Percussion cap by Jack Crockford stock1.jpg
    Percussion cap by Jack Crockford stock1.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 0
Interesting. My knowledge is limited, in terms of older ML, so I'll go off of three things that stands out the most.

It has no double set triggers and the sights are very low profile. The stock is also made of high choice wood. Very pretty wood.

If you have some sort of precision measuring device, such as a caliper or micrometer, that will get you in the ball park of bore diameter to help determine caliber.

I'll leave the rest of it to the more in the know ML members on here.

That is an interesting rifle, and from the photos, it appears to be well made. @ETipp made some good observations... The single trigger is unusual for a "plains" rifle of this type, but that and the low-profile sights suggest this gun was built for a serious hunter.

There is no way to determine caliber from the photos. As Mr. Tripp said, a caliper type micrometer can give you an approximate bore size, but for a really accurate measurement, it would be worth a trip to a machinist or gunsmith to have the bore checked with plug gauges. I would not remove the breechplug on that rifle, which you would need to do to slug the bore, but slugging it is another good way to determine the size. The little triangular bore gauges that you poke in the muzzle are not reliable. A dial caliper doesn't cost that much in today's dollars and is an essential tool for serious shooters.

Bear in mind, bore size in muzzleloaders means the land-to-land measurement. With American breechloaders, they measure bore size from bottom of groove to bottom of groove.

One of your best resources for getting started may be your NMLRA state Field Representative. This page has them all listed: NMLRA Field Reps

The Field Rep should be able to get you in touch with a club, gunsmith, or shooter in your area who can examine the rifle, answer your questions, and get you started safely.

That looks to be a nice rifle. Lucky you! Thanks for showing it. Enjoy it safely.

Notchy Bob

It is not necessary to remove the breech plug to slug the bore. A brass rod close to bore size 8"- 10" long slid into the bore before the lead slug is installed will pop out the slug with back n forth motions, just catch the slug so it doesn't hit the floor and deform it. Simple.
coupe

That is an interesting rifle, and from the photos, it appears to be well made. @ETipp made some good observations... The single trigger is unusual for a "plains" rifle of this type, but that and the low-profile sights suggest this gun was built for a serious hunter.

There is no way to determine caliber from the photos. As Mr. Tripp said, a caliper type micrometer can give you an approximate bore size, but for a really accurate measurement, it would be worth a trip to a machinist or gunsmith to have the bore checked with plug gauges. I would not remove the breechplug on that rifle, which you would need to do to slug the bore, but slugging it is another good way to determine the size. The little triangular bore gauges that you poke in the muzzle are not reliable. A dial caliper doesn't cost that much in today's dollars and is an essential tool for serious shooters.

Bear in mind, bore size in muzzleloaders means the land-to-land measurement. With American breechloaders, they measure bore size from bottom of groove to bottom of groove.

One of your best resources for getting started may be your NMLRA state Field Representative. This page has them all listed: NMLRA Field Reps

The Field Rep should be able to get you in touch with a club, gunsmith, or shooter in your area who can examine the rifle, answer your questions, and get you started safely.

That looks to be a nice rifle. Lucky you! Thanks for showing it. Enjoy it safely.

Notchy Bob
Thank you!

Interesting. My knowledge is limited, in terms of older ML, so I'll go off of three things that stands out the most.

It has no double set triggers and the sights are very low profile. The stock is also made of high choice wood. Very pretty wood.

If you have some sort of precision measuring device, such as a caliper or micrometer, that will get you in the ball park of bore diameter to help determine caliber.

I'll leave the rest of it to the more in the know ML members on here.
Thank you.

Back