• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion cap pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avmtdan

32 Cal
Reaction score
Bought an interesting percussion cap pistol the other day. Looks old, bore is rusty, but strangely lightweight. The barrel appears to be banded in someway as well as the grain almost looks twisted. I have not been able maker using the crest or find out what language the text is in. Overall length is around 20".
Percussion cap pistol 2.jpg

Crest.jpg

text.jpg

Attachments

• Percussion cap pistol 4.jpg
    Percussion cap pistol 4.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 95
TBH it has the appearance of a pistol produced by somebody who thinks he knows what the Roman alphabet looks like, but isn't too sure. The numbers, similarly. The chiselled crown is particularly noteworthy - I don't recall ever having seen one so badly done before. 20" is an enormous size for this style of pistol!!

My take is that it is a 'made for tourist' model dating from sometime in the previous century but one, or a poor copy of a VERY large horse pistol made by somebody who had heard about one, but not clapped eyes on it.

TBH it has the appearance of a pistol produced by somebody who thinks he knows what the Roman alphabet looks like, but isn't too sure. The numbers, similarly. The chiselled crown is particularly noteworthy - I don't recall ever having seen one so badly done before. 20" is an enormous size for this style of pistol!!

My take is that it is a 'made for tourist' model dating from sometime in the previous century but one, or a poor copy of a VERY large horse pistol made by somebody who had heard about one, but not clapped eyes on it.
Lol, yeah I am starting to think the same thing. Due to the size initially I thought it may have been a rifle that was cut down to pistol size.

Back