• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Percussion cap misfires on new revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just went out to the range with my Le Mat, 61 colt navy, snub nose and pocket revolvers. I used CCI 10 and 11 caps. There was a misfire (no spark) percent of about 30. Caps that didn't fire had small dent in middle of the top of the cap. Am I missing something or has CCI missed quality control? Is there something wrong with nipples, that I had looked at previously and conformed there was an opening, nothing blocked? They are new so is there a possibility of shipping preservative coating inside the cylinder? But that wouldn't prevent a spark????

If you have access to a depth gauge check depth of cap compared to height of nipple. Could be a nipple problem or a cap problem. I had it happen with a homebrewed nipple. A couple thousands inch cured the problem.
Dave

I had the same problem on my revolvers as well my friends’ guns.

We all switched to Slix-Shot nipples and our problems were solved.

Was at the range the other day and a member was trying out a used chunk gun. The #11 caps wouldn't fit. We couldn't even begin to start them. I had my calipers with me and the end of the cone measured the 0.155 the same as my #11 Hot shot nipple. Close inspection of the tip of the cone showed a slight mushrooming. A few passes with a file and all was good.

These caps, both 10 and 11, didn't fire. Not even one tiny spark. I should have taken off the caps and tried to get them to spark but I didn't think of it. Would different nipples affect the hammer or the distance from nipple to powder? Thanks.

Your nipples may have too short a cone and the hammer is stopping on the frame before hitting the cap. Try a magnum cap. /the magnum caps have a bit more priming compound. I have a pistol that was configured to stop the hammer before it hit the cone to facilitate dry firing, I needed magnum caps, Standard caps would not fire. Eventually I bought a nipple with a longer cone.

So, yes, a nipple with a longer cone might be the solution.

. I should have taken off the caps and tried to get them to spark but I didn't think of it.
I suggest you do what thought you should. Secondly, you may have a hammer nipple contact issue. Use a paper punch to cut a piece of masking tape. Place the masking tape in the hammer cavity or contact area. Then smear the thinnest film of lipstick on the nipple's end. Let the hammer down and let it rest at the nipple, and then smack the back of the hammer with the heal of your hand. The lipstick will tell if you are getting contact. Don't use a thick tape.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

Had the same problem but fixed it. Make sure the barrel wedge is in far enough and or, bring each nipple out a half turn. I couldn't find longer nipples. Unless Slix-Shot nipples are longer they're unlikely to help. Mine is a Pietta Dance Brothers. Hope you get it going.

I had this problem with my Model 1860 Pietta. The problem was that the caps did not seat down on the nipples. So, I filed down the sides of the nipples, not the top. This fixed the problem, No. 11 caps slide all the way down and seated properly.

I took the .31 caliber pocket (pietta) and tried #10 and #11 caps (CCI). Nothing but dented caps. Then I followed LYMAN54 advice and loosened caps 1/2 turn. All caps fired correctly. Yippie. Now are there longer nipples that I can get rather than keeping these loose? Are the Slix shot (hot shot) nipples longer? I've ordered #11 magnums and remington caps. Thanks for all you advice above.

Several years ago I also loosened the nipples as LYMAN 54 advised. But, I loosened the nipples too much and this caused multiple chambers to fire at once. As I remember, I loosened them more than half a turn. Please be careful.

Don't loosen nipples. This is a fire arm half measures are not a good route to go.

Check the nipples are not deformed, if they are not and the hammer is making good contact on impact which by the fact you state there is an impact mark i would try another make of cap.

Did the CCI ever get damp or were they old etc?

Back