• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

percussion cap keepers ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WGR

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Folks... I was killin' some time looking on Ebay and saw an add for percussion cap keepers for #10 and #11 caps. Looks like a silicon holder that one would insert the cap into and then place on the nipples. Anyone have any experience with these ?? States it helps keep the caps from falling off after firing, etc. Did a search on the forums, but nothing came up.

wgr

I don't know what you're seeing on Ebay, but there are little silicone bands that are placed over the nipple and slid down around the edge, to keep water out, when it's raining.

There was a old pistol shooter named Jeff Cooper and he had a saying! "that's an innavative solution to a non exsistant problem! That's what it sounds like to me! Geo. T.

Thanks RangerJ... that's the item I saw. Have you had any difficulty with removing these off the nipples after firing ?

wgr

Most of the caps on my Remingtons are blasted wide open after I shoot. There is no problem in removing them, just picking the pieces out of the gap between cylinder and frame. If I was worried about rain, I'd seal them with fingernail polish after loading.

Many Klatch

No sir they come off real easy.I like them plus they are supposed to help with moisture.

Something like this has been of interest since I got my first revolver and a cap jammed the cylinder. About three weeks ago I ran across a length of fish tank air hose that looked promising. It fit snugly down over a cap and actually pulled the cap off the nipple when removed. I cut some little bands and fit one over each cap on the cylinder. They fit snug and being clear plastic, are almost invisible. Then I ran across this thread and it hit home.

I have yet to shoot them, but have no reason at this point to think they might not work. And they are a lot cheaper than having to buy them ready made.

there is a trick to shooting these revolvers to keep the spent caps from going into the cylender

ya gotta pull the muzzle straight up and give a slight wrist pop as you cock it for the next round, that will send the cap away from the cylender
If you do this faithfuly you won't get caps jaming your cyender.

I doubt that those things will do you any good on a revolver. :idunno: Cynthialee had a good idea and she seems to be pretty knowlegable when it comes to pistols. :hmm: However, even though I don't know what revolver you are considering or have purchased, take a look at this video for some good info on minimizing cap jamming on cap and ball revolvers. :thumbsup: It is a simple modification that could apply to many cap and ball revolvers. Anyway, here it is for your consideration, amazement, amusement and edification. :hmm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfTGjm3IDYw

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, at least you didn't say,
"You have to put your thumb on the pounder lever and while you pulling the pounder back you point the goes-outa hole up towards the sky while you flip your wrist to the right to throw the copper do-hicky out away from the goes-arounda."

:hatsoff:

My experience with the tubing has been a mixed bag. Some caps still seemed to "frag" enough to get away from the nipple and gum up the works. I'm still experimenting and haven't written them off totally.

That sounds a lot like my marriage but we have managed to make it work for 48 years even if we were a bit unconvential at times and didn't always know the names of all of the parts. :rotf:

cynthialee said:
there is a trick to shooting these revolvers to keep the spent caps from going into the cylender

ya gotta pull the muzzle straight up and give a slight wrist pop as you cock it for the next round, that will send the cap away from the cylender
If you do this faithfuly you won't get caps jaming your cyender.

:thumbsup:

I have only been on here for a day but I have to admit that I love cynthialee's answers. She seems to know it from doing it. She also seems like somebody who hammers a nail into the wal with the heal of a shoe but when finished the nail is straight and sound as an arrow.

I like everybody answers, good group here.

I seen in a vidoe that some SS nipples being sent out are too short and need worked on.
There is a video on U Tube when you type in F.ll Petta.

As was written-a solution for a nonexistan problem.
The greatest problem which we have nowdays is the simple fact that the wall thickness, as well as the cap lenght is a bit less than back in the day. There´s a serie of photos of a loaded 1858 revolver floating aroud the internet, which was dugged up on some battlefield, in quite decent condition and showing the caps clearly.
Esp. the wall thickness allows for excessive bursting and then jaming the action. And considering the waterproofing-more PC (hell on that somehow...) is to put some beewax dilluted either in turpentine oil or in "white spirit of petrae oleum" aka gasoline nowdays, let it dry (few seconds), put the caps on and dip a tear of the dilluted beewax over it again. You can drop the revolver into a bucket of water for few days and the only concern about the powder moisture ratio comes from what you use for lube in front of the balls and how completely are the chambers filled with it.

Geo T said:
There was a old pistol shooter named Jeff Cooper and he had a saying! "that's an innavative solution to a non exsistant problem! That's what it sounds like to me! Geo. T.

Really! :shocked2:
Wadda statement. :shocked2: :shocked2:
You forget, if it is made of plastic or comes in a plastic bottle from Wal-Mart he can't shoot his traditional ml pistol without it.
Don't ye know nuttin'? :wink:

Back