• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Percussion Cap Information

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sourdough

40 Cal
Reaction score
I find that with all the information sporadically available about different percussion caps, I have not found a source that puts it all together in one spot.

This may not cover everything available, but it suits my interests very well.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Jim

EDITED BY MODERATOR TO REMOVE COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Posting such material violates the Forum Rule that reads:
30: Do not post copyrighted material; including articles, images, videos, music, etc. You may post a small excerpt, with a link to the original, but you may not post the entire article.

PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TO SEE THE ENTIRE ARTICLE. Your device will need to be able to read "pdf" files. Most do so click the link to find out.

http://guntoters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Percussion-Caps-and-Nipples2.pdf
There are later posts in this thread that talk about the copyrighted material that was in this post. I left them in place so just ignore most of what they say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent information Jim. After looking at the different manufacturer cap dimensions, this may explain why my Uberti 1858 and 1860, as well as, my ROA, have always had a nice tight cap-to-nipple fit using the Remington #10 cap. I think that the extra Remington #10 cap length and skirt has a better grip on a nipple.

I find that with all the information sporadically available about different percussion caps, I have not found a source that puts it all together in one spot.

This may not cover everything available, but it suits my interests very well.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Jim

View attachment 66507View attachment 66509View attachment 66510View attachment 66511View attachment 66512View attachment 66513View attachment 66514
Bits of this article have been posted here before.

Rather than cut and paste a significant portion of the original 22 page article, why not post a link and give credit to the author?

My Remington #11 caps don't match the length noted at the link. They are longer than CCI #11 caps. Discovered this when i attempted to load Remington #11 caps in my inline capper; they are too long for the capper. These are the Remington #11 caps i have:

1614646144885.png

My Remington #10 caps are just a little shorter than my Remington #11 caps, they fit my capper.

Last edited:
FYI The Open Range is RIP and gone. Perhaps the Cowboy Action City forum may have something

Okay, I copied and pasted it from My Documents file. Did not know the Open Range was gone, have not been there is a long time.

I sent it to Zonie a long time so that it could be a sticky here. Not sure what happened to it.

My Remington #11 caps don't match the length noted at the link. They are longer than CCI #11 caps. Discovered this when i attempted to load Remington #11 caps in my inline capper; they are too long for the capper. These are the Remington #11 caps i have:

View attachment 66699

My Remington #10 caps are just a little shorter than my Remington #11 caps, they fit my capper.
that is odd because I shot up a few of tins #11 Remington caps in some of my Slixshot equipped Piettas. I was not too happy with them because the skirt was short and did not properly expand like #10 caps. They tended to stick to the cones (OK good) or fall out when the gun was cocked resulting in a a water table jam
(Not OK not good). Fortunately there were only had three or four tins so they got used up in practice, plinking, and can chasing which, by the way, is real fun.
Also I found RWS 1075 caps do not work on Slixshot nipples or the OEM Pietta nipples at all which is too bad because I do have a lot of them, but they work on my Green River .50 caliber half stock.
Hold Center
Bunk

Back