• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion Cap brands

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive always been happy with CCI #11's and Remington #10's.
But I have a bunch of new CCI's that I haven't tried yet. Since others have had problems, the verdict is still out on the new ones for me.
I had 5 containers of CCI #11 from a previous order and they fit and worked fine. I think it was a quality control issue when they restarted production Really think they packaged #10s in #11 container.

For target shooting I use whatever brand I can get. For deer hunting I use only RWS as I believe they work better in wet rainy weather which is what we have in Ohio deer season!

A somewhat subjective question ;
Yeah, but Only because of today's extended market shortage.
There have always been variables within the several makers offerings, but these days it's almost easier to adapt the rifle and load variables to accommodate the cap you have in hand.
That said; as little as 10yrs ago when it was a consumers choice of several available caps on the shelf and having had the opportunity to use many brands in years prior to that,
RWS 1075 proved themselves to be the most reliable. They could withstand varied and sometimes, what would be considered compromised storage conditions, and still preform the task year after year. A soild hammer/nipple strike with almost any configuration you had would set off the charge.
CCI mags would be a close second, but nipple choice when used with sub's is important,
All the others lagged with the "reliability" issues

Please note that my opinions are based on buying and using "bricks" of caps purchased not just tins, and that of the shared experience of close friends back in the hay-day of shooting a 100+ rounds at a single weekend event.
Today is different,, even the manufacturers have had to adapt as they struggle to fill labor/component needs and market conditions,,
, it's easier to adapt the rifle to what's available.

Last edited:
Here of late the caps work well depending on the nipple on the gun. The caps go off well if they fit the nipple properly. For whatever reason my guns seem to have wider or thinner nipples at the top and I have to know which is which. All brands of caps work if fitted on the proper nipple.+++

Over the years I've used Remington 10's for ROA. The primer fell out of half of them. Switched nipples to 11's and never used Rem's again.

I've found CCI, CCI Mag, Winchester, Winchester Mags to be essentially interchangeable with little change of impact point or group size shooting Goex. Patch thickness, lube, ball size and powder charge seem to most affect group size and POI to me.

I have had a few misfires with CCI's but that was diagnosed due to nipple mushrooming. A few licks with a fine file eliminated the problem.

An interesting side note to this thread. I stopped by a local book store to sip coffee and browse some magazines, starting with "Muzzleloader".
FWIW, there's an article describing making your own percussion caps.

RWS 1075 were sometimes too small for my TC #11 nipples. One hammer strike to seat them and the next to set them off. My Italian nipples seem smaller so they fit better.

manure Cap Incorporated has always been my go to.

The last 400 CCI Magnums I bought were, well, manure. Several in a row refused to pop.

In the process of replacing my #11 nipples with musket nipples.

My Schuetzen musket caps are 100% reliable.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to watching the zoo. No lions, tigers or bears. But plenty of Kangaroos and RINOs.
The Shuetzen caps are made by Rio in Spain, they make some outstanding ammo for shotguns, all components are made in house.

My experienxe is that CCI Magnum caps work the best for me. The only powders I have used them with is Triple 7 and real black powder. I have always found them to fit properly on the nipple and have never had any instances where they fail to go off and ignite the main charge.

Back