• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhos87

32 Cal.
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/dF6UYoOjx84

Blunderbuss.
I have an 1850s? era percussion Blunderbuss. I’m not sure of its origin because I can’t find any proof marks anywhere. I did remove the barrel and found a letter “J” with a * above it. This is the only mark I could find. There is some etching on all the screws and trigger plate, butt plate and hammer. All the screws are timed, (all aligned in the same direction) The barrel is elliptical shaped and made of steel the barrel is in good condition, however there is some small pitting. The stock is in good condition, no cracks, but there is some nicks/small dents. Overall the condition is excellent. I tried to research this gun, via the Internet, and found one real similar, almost exact. That one was made in Belgium.
Any help would be great!

Squire Robin said:
I think you might have a musketoon :thumbsup:

For the very first time ever, I find myself disagreeing with you, Sir.

I have what is generally known as a Musketoon, and it sure don't look anything like that.

MY Musketoon has a bore that is the same all the way from one end of the barrel to the other, and is rifled. The implausibility of finding rifling in the OP's gun needs not be noted, so I won't mention it. :wink:

The back-action lock on the OP's arm dates from around 1830-40 on, and I opine is continental - European, rather than American-made.

Of course, I might be wrong. :surrender:

tac

tac said:
Of course, I might be wrong. :surrender:

:idunno: The only oval barrelled blunderbuss I know of is Burgoyne's musketoon which this certainly isn't. If you think I am wrong then I am more than happy to concede that the term "Musketoon" does not refer to the oval part :surrender: :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the input, I have been researching this cannon for quite a while, I have yet to find any photos that resembles this. I researched this out of curiosity, but now it has become a quest, almost an obsession.. I don't have the proper skill or tools to take the lock off, I bet I might find something there. Currently, I am trying to locate a reputable gunsmith in my area who can do this without damaging the etching on the screws. :v

I would be willing to bet that if you sent the slide show and info you have to Man at Arms they would do a story about it and may have some more information. Can't post a link but www (dot) gunandswordcollector (dot) com.

Perhaps it's semantics but when I see the word "Musketoon" I think of short military guns often used by cannoneers or the Calvary/ Mounted Dragoons.

These Military guns typically do not have a back action lock and they never have engraved screws.

What I find unusual about this arm is I always considered the Blunderbess as a gun used during the flintlock age for guards.

I suppose "Highway men" and others who wanted admission into guarded buildings were still a problem in the later percussion era?

Backlock percussion locks were not popular until the mid 1800's and I see nothing to indicate the lock on this gun is not the original.

Whatever it is, it is a unusually nice gun. :)

As noted, the gun appears original in form & fittings. In Baxter's book on the Blunderbuss, he notes that the gun was popular as a type well into the 19th century and that back action locks started to appear on some of them by 1830.

No, yours was never a flintlock. Back action locks like yours saw increasing use from about 1830 on specially on shotguns, both single and double barreled. The back action lock was considered slightly simpler than a front action lock and it evolved into one of the type locks found on cartridge shotguns as it was quite easy to add a rebounding hammer function to this type lock.

rhos87 said:
I Just found one real similar to mine, This has to be the closest one I have seen as so far. I am wondering if mine is a flint lock conversion???
although the guns are similar, in the fact they have elliptical or oval bores, they are actually two different style of locks. Neither is a conversion. Yours in a back action style and though the barrel 'might' be older, the gun style dates from 1840 or later. The first oval bored guns like that I've found listed was made for the 'carabineer' squadron of Austrian cuirassiers at the end of the Seven Years War, c.1760. No one seems to know why this was done but the Austrians often went differently than the rest of creations at times and this may just be another example. Seems not to have lasted long, in any case. They took a 12 ball load, with no specifications given but the barrel on your gun seems a bit short compared to period sketches...the oval bore was thought to spread the shot pattern more in a horizontal plane, though this may have been wishful thinking! Your gun shows signs of some nice work...nice piece at any rate.

That is a really interesting gun and appears to be in super condition. Obviously built as a high quality gun for personal protection.
My guess is this is a Belgium/Austrian/Dutch gun built to spec for an individual (or officer) for personal protection. As mentioned above, the back-action lock and the barrel being held to the stock by wedges (vs pins) places this gun somewhere between about 1835-1855. The use of a blunderbuss barrel - especially an elliptical one - seems unusual for this late in the 1800's. Most of these NON-Military, short barreled, shoulder arms and pistols, from the early 18th Century to the mid 19th Century, made in this area of Europe are left unmarked. Except for the occasional letter or numeral. At least most I have seen. So this gun being un-marked would be the norm from my experience.
Short barrel shoulder arms - that could be hidden under a cloak - were very popular in Europe during the first half of the 19th Century. The Spanish were especially fond of these guns, and even utilized the blunderbuss style barrel well into the 1860's.
In any case, it's sure a nice gun that would make a great addition to a collection. Congrats. And thanks for Posting. Rick. :hatsoff:

Wow! I have spent many hours trying to research the history of this gun, This site has by far,has given me more information than any I have posted on. Thanks to all of you who have responded! My curiosity was driving me to research and now it has become a quest... Thanks again!!!

I have a similar percussion elliptical blunderbuss in my collection. The only marking I’ve found is a Liege, Belgium, proof stamp on top of the barrel.

As shown in the pictures, it has a back action lock, each screw head and metal part is engraved, the wrist is checkered, and it retains what appears to be the original ramrod. The the barrel is octagon, to wedding ring, to round, to oval.

The reason why elliptical muzzle blunderbusses are so scarce- they don’t work as advertised. The shot pattern was thought to be an oval when are simply delivered round.
03CD710A-95FC-41FE-B129-294A1D84852E.jpeg
D8A88DF8-2768-4582-A1DB-53D37711A473.jpeg
48049C26-6B45-4972-AA51-8C6F893A4FFD.jpeg
57EC9D28-4F9E-484D-8D5A-81192371A26D.jpeg
FFC9BB83-5784-4689-B973-0F0E7DA32214.jpeg
8DEB6035-37BF-4B96-9A55-1DB9190D0A46.jpeg
5C43DF76-A29B-415A-9CA3-6E0B4FCEB22F.jpeg
FFC9BB83-5784-4689-B973-0F0E7DA32214.jpeg
8DEB6035-37BF-4B96-9A55-1DB9190D0A46.jpeg
5C43DF76-A29B-415A-9CA3-6E0B4FCEB22F.jpeg

In an elegant manner, it proclaims, “get off my entire front yard!”

Bearing in mind that the gun is said to be European, and by the mid-1830s much of Western Europe had railroads that replaced the highways frequented by 'highwaymen', it seems to be a total anachronism, to say the least.

The star over L stamps are interesting - my reference shows them to indicate a Liége, Belgium, proof mark used only between 1852 and 53 that indicated a barrel that had NOT been weakened by breeching after proof. This is usual AFTER conversion from flint to percussion, but it has a back-action lock....

Back