• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Percussion bench rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one is a .52 bore with 38" barrel.
Fast twist for fifty caliber caliber molds paper patched and run through a .519 push through sizer.

Enclosed are images of a couple off heavy Percussion rifles which may come into that category
Shutzen Rifle
100_1053.JPG
100_1047.JPG

Feltwad
100_1045.JPG

Canton Rifle
Feltwad
100_1499.JPG
100_1515.JPG

Here's another. .50 cal., 33", 1-1/2" octagon Bill Large barrel, L&R lock, 1" Hawken style breech. Brass tube sight (not a telescope) of my make has a small aperature inside the rear and a fine-wire cross hair inside the front. My load is 90gr FFFg, .495 ball and .022 ticking patch lubed with sperm oil.
100_0984.JPG
100_0983.JPG

Good question. You want "informal". To some that would translate to a chunk gun or light bench rifle. I'll show mine again if I can get this new software to allow posting of pics. It has not worked recently.
Here goes:
BTW, in case it doesn't work, the upper rifle is my light bench, X-sticks target rifle. And, before health issues made me too weak to lift it, was my offhand range gun. It is a regular TC 'hawken' fitted with a Douglas premium barrel and Redfield Olympic sights. Very accurate. The lower one is a similar version on a TC Seneca stock.
Couldn't post pic even though it is one I have used here before.

Wow, guys, looks like we're well represented for bench competition! Maybe we cann get the postal off the ground! I'm hoping to shoot it with something, LOL! Thanks for the pictures, sure gives one ideas for construction. That cheek piece on Feltwad's Jaeger looks good enough to use for a pillow!

Yes Mark it is an Anschutz sight. You can post pictures by clicking on the "Attach Files" box in the bottom left below where your post your reply. After clicking the box go to your files and click on the file you want to transfer. Go ahead and give it a try.

Nice guns. I like that underhammer Hawkeye. Did you build or did you buy it. Would love to see more pictures of it.
DL

Here are the rifles I have mentioned previously. They are what we call our half-breed target rifles. They are not much from an artistic standpoint. Simply TC stocks fitted with Douglas premium barrels and Redfield Olympic target sights. They are very accurate and served us well for many years.

Attachments

• TCrifles-1[1].jpg
    TCrifles-1[1].jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 123
Just bought this at auction and haven't even gotten delivery yet. Made in 1867 in Dayton Ohio by W. W. Hackney. Remington "cast steel" barrel. It looks as if somebody stuck it in a closet for 153 years. 44 cal, but I'll have to slug it to find out what that means in thousandths. I imagine it has a fairly fast twist. I'm looking for information on shooting this kind of animal. Paper patched bullets and all that. I've been fishing around in the archives here and come up with some good info to start with.

Ohio 1867.jpg

Ohio 1867 Buttstock.jpg

Back