• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion bench rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rex, I think I saw that one on auction. I liked it then and I still like it. Let us know how it shoots.

Every time I think about buying another gun I have to remind myself of what a good friend once told me "you cant buy all of them"

Fleener

Here is an informal target rifle built from a Peter Allen box lock.
I made the rear sights from scratch.
I built the rifle to represent an informal target rifle of the latter nineteenth century, a kind of target shoot after church.
The box lock action, trigger guard, and butt plate came color case hardened, making the fitting of the wood to metal parts problematic and difficult, however it shoots round ball very well out to one hundred fifty yards.
I hope my pictures came out well enough to see what I have done.
Fred

Attachments

• DSC00810.JPG
    DSC00810.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC00811.JPG
    DSC00811.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 136
The butt plate says offhand rifle, 1 1/8" barrel weight and my poor left shoulder say bench rifle (.50, 1-48, false muzzle, made circa 1970 I think)
D T Rifle.jpg

Here's another. .50 cal., 33", 1-1/2" octagon Bill Large barrel, L&R lock, 1" Hawken style breech. Brass tube sight (not a telescope) of my make has a small aperature inside the rear and a fine-wire cross hair inside the front. My load is 90gr FFFg, .495 ball and .022 ticking patch lubed with sperm oil.View attachment 27887View attachment 27889
Thanks to Larry, I am trying to duplicate his fine looking tube scope to mount on my .50 cal. percussion rifle.

That's some amazing rifles guys, thanks for sharing, it really shakes up the 'build one' juices. It gets one to thinking, 'I've got this barrel, and let's see, how about that old chunk of walnut out in the shop rafters? And furniture off that old broken Virginia stock? and how about a lock....!!!!

This is an oldie. South paw second hand Lyman GPR fitted with a Rayl fast twist forty bore.

Now experimenting with patching a Lyman adjustable length core mold.

This picture from around 1930’s has always fascinated me.
He was from TN and the NMLRA Range is named after him.

9BA7B1BC-FEEF-4BCE-87AC-58D2498045B5.jpeg

I have a set of pictures, one of which shows Walter, at a chunk shoot in Portsmouth Ohio prior to Freindship being established. Also have a collage of targets shot at 40 rods about the same time.

This is a very interesting topic for myself and many others I am sure. I love the pictures. Keep them coming please.

Some of you may have run into Bruce Mckelvy in competition around the country, he shoots all classes but he loves heavy bench guns. I was at his shop the other day and he was finishing up a beauty. He is one more gunsmith and builds the action, triggers, sights and host of other parts on his competition guns. The gun he was building was for a friend and customer.

I am tilling his garden tomorrow, if he hasn't shipped the gun off I will get some pictures and post them here.

I'm guessing the photo of Walter is from the late 20's or early 30's. I will try to post some pics from that period.

A few pics of old photos. Walter Cline in white fedora hat near
0418201603a.jpg
0418201603a.jpg
rifle rack?

Attachments

• 0418201603.jpg
    0418201603.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 0418201604.jpg
    0418201604.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 86
Dressing for a shoot was typical of the times. Many of us do it for the annual York Over the Log match every year.

the FEDORA is OK! but try shooting muzzleloaders today with a BOW TIE??

The bow tie isn't much of a problem. I do something similar in the way I tie my roller around my neck when I wear the uniform. It's the fedora that crimps my ability to wear ear protection. Well, then I roll up the foam hearing protectors. My hearing may be going, but I want to maintain what I have.

Sunday attire for going shooting at most of the over the log or table shoots would be freshly washed bib overalls, white shirt, tie and a fedora hat.

Rex, I think I saw that one on auction. I liked it then and I still like it. Let us know how it shoots.

Every time I think about buying another gun I have to remind myself of what a good friend once told me "you cant buy all of them"

Fleener

Fleener, it was in the recent Amoskeag auction. I had not thought that I was actually going to win it. It was preceded by about $50k of nice Schutzen rifles, so I think the relevant collectors had smoking checkbooks and took a break.

I tried it out day before yesterday on a bench at 50 yards with a .410 ball, .018" patch, and 40 grains of 3F Swiss. The first three shots could be covered with a nickel. Buuut, the rear lollipop sight was a bit wobbly in its threads, so when I tried to adjust for elevation it went all over the place. I went into the shop, found some scrap brass, and made a wedge and threaded disc to lock it down. Like so:

IMG_8645.JPG

Today is sunny, so maybe I'll try this again with a stationary rear sight. I'll tell you what, a 41 caliber ball out of a 1-1/4" barrel makes for the recoil of a BB gun. That, plus a set trigger that goes off with a feather touch makes me a better shot than I am. I still need to make a palm rest for offhand shooting. Either that or take up Olympic weight lifting.

Back