• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pennsylvanian Hunters horn.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_0231.jpeg

IMG_0233.jpeg

IMG_0235.jpeg

IMG_0236.jpeg

IMG_0237.jpeg

IMG_0238.jpeg

Robby

I use rasps and files to shape the horn, including the bolsters.
IMG_0163.jpeg

IMG_0163.jpeg

IMG_0165.jpeg

I use these tools to carve in and scrimshaw the design. Concrete nails, pounded out, shaped, hardened, and set into dowels.
IMG_0239.jpeg

The colors are ink. When I'm done I boil the horn in a strong brew of tea. much of the color is lost or doesn't show up real strong after that process. The "distlefink's" as the PA Dutch call them, I used our own thistle fink's, better known as the gold finch and the gold hue is pretty much lost in the photograph, but is there.
Robby

Attachments

• IMG_0166.jpeg
    IMG_0166.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 113
It's beautiful! Is there any way you can re-spell JAGD the correct way? Can you reverse the "d" and the "g"?

My dyslexia is showing Jaeger. Not to worry though, lots of misspelled words on original horns. Not a first for me either, I've misspelled the name of guys I was making them for, but never got a call to change it, they liked the mistake.
Robin

When I'm putting lettering on a horn its more like drawing than writing, that plus an intermittent dyslexia that seems to be getting worse with age is all I got. I was never issued an internal spell check either. There that ought to cover it.
Robby

Beautiful job Robby, that horn is truly a work of art. Anyone can tell you put your whole heart into making it! If you make horns for someone what is the average price? You can also pm me.

Having worked with the accoutrement judging at The Dixon's Gunmakers' Fair for many years, I have seen hundreds of beautiful powder horns. This one is Judges Choice material.

Having worked with the accoutrement judging at The Dixon's Gunmakers' Fair for many years, I have seen hundreds of beautiful powder horns. This one is Judges Choice material.
Thank you Bob.
Many, many years ago a fellow entered a set of horns at Dixons' that I had made for myself. To be honest, at the time I didn't know what Dixons' was or its' importance to the world of muzzleloading, I have since learned. I wasn't there that year and he told me they didn't quire know where to place my horns for the judging but they liked them and gave me a first place in whatever category they finally settled on. It was a very humbling experience for me and I still have the ribbon and jury summery.
Thank you again for the kind words.
IMG_0294.jpeg

IMG_0295.jpeg

I think I'm on my third set of straps, and probably the last, Hah!
Robby

Back