Quantcast

Pennsylvanian Hunters horn.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Treestalker

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Gute Jadg, indeed! That's one of the most beautiful horns I've seen a picture of. All I can say is WOW!

Robby

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I use rasps and files to shape the horn, including the bolsters.
IMG_0163.jpeg

IMG_0163.jpeg

IMG_0165.jpeg

I use these tools to carve in and scrimshaw the design. Concrete nails, pounded out, shaped, hardened, and set into dowels.
IMG_0239.jpeg

The colors are ink. When I'm done I boil the horn in a strong brew of tea. much of the color is lost or doesn't show up real strong after that process. The "distlefink's" as the PA Dutch call them, I used our own thistle fink's, better known as the gold finch and the gold hue is pretty much lost in the photograph, but is there.
Robby

Attachments

Jaeger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
It's beautiful! Is there any way you can re-spell JAGD the correct way? Can you reverse the "d" and the "g"?

Robby

62 Cal.
Reaction score
My dyslexia is showing Jaeger. Not to worry though, lots of misspelled words on original horns. Not a first for me either, I've misspelled the name of guys I was making them for, but never got a call to change it, they liked the mistake.
Robin

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

Robby

62 Cal.
Reaction score
When I'm putting lettering on a horn its more like drawing than writing, that plus an intermittent dyslexia that seems to be getting worse with age is all I got. I was never issued an internal spell check either. There that ought to cover it.
Robby

Yewbender

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
2 Big 👍👍 on that horn! That is a work of art you created Robby. When i seen the pictures my jaw dropped...WOW!!!

erhunter

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Beautiful job Robby, that horn is truly a work of art. Anyone can tell you put your whole heart into making it! If you make horns for someone what is the average price? You can also pm me.

Robby

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Thank you fellows it is much appreciated. erhunter, I no longer make horns for sale, thank you for asking.
Robby

Bob Gular

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Having worked with the accoutrement judging at The Dixon's Gunmakers' Fair for many years, I have seen hundreds of beautiful powder horns. This one is Judges Choice material.

Robby

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Having worked with the accoutrement judging at The Dixon's Gunmakers' Fair for many years, I have seen hundreds of beautiful powder horns. This one is Judges Choice material.
Thank you Bob.
Many, many years ago a fellow entered a set of horns at Dixons' that I had made for myself. To be honest, at the time I didn't know what Dixons' was or its' importance to the world of muzzleloading, I have since learned. I wasn't there that year and he told me they didn't quire know where to place my horns for the judging but they liked them and gave me a first place in whatever category they finally settled on. It was a very humbling experience for me and I still have the ribbon and jury summery.
Thank you again for the kind words.
IMG_0294.jpeg

IMG_0295.jpeg

I think I'm on my third set of straps, and probably the last, Hah!
Robby