• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pennsylvania public land

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjohnson56

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Any Pennsylvania hunters know anything about the state closing down state land to hunting because of gas leases? :idunno:

Other than staying 150 yds from their offices and buildings, I am not aware of any such restrictions, Although I am sure there is probably one or two such instances on one sort of public land or other. We have nat. Forests, State forests, state parks, state game lands, and other areas. I haven't heard of any closures that great.

A friend of mine is a poly-sci teacher who reads about gov every day and he told me about it but had very little info so he asked me to check it out and see if I could find anything.

It sounded to him like a back room deal without any public input, but I can't seem to be able to find anything yet. Maybe I'll go to some Penn newspapers tomorrow and see if I can dig anything up.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've heard of some Historical sites being closed down to save monies like Washington's Crossing n others but haven't heard of any public grounds open to hunting that are scheduled to be closed. Maybe he miss understood what he read and it wasn't areas ya can hunt in but the historical places. Just hazarding a guess--just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

Thanx Apache - let us know if you hear anything else. Here in PA one sometimes hears the PA Game Commission referred to as the "PA Gas & Timber Sales Commision", so your post understandably made me nervous...

Eric

Here in Venango Co in NW Pa., They are currrently drilling "test" wells in the Marcellus shale on the Game Lands. Other than the drilling site itself, the ground is still open as usual. Pa Game Commission acquires land at different times and conditions and may not have mineral rights on every parcel. That is apparently the case on these game lands. But the drillers have the roads in and out in better shape than they have been for years. Best to go on the PA Game Commission website for information.

Wild things may have changed some since last I heard. What I heard awhile back is that it was one of the ones BEING CONSIDERED, I was just useing it as an example of the sort of places I had heard about vs public hunting grounds.. Hope I didn't get anybody scared. If I did I'm sorry, can't remember any of the others but there was quite a list of places under consideration for closeing because of costs n such. Again sorry, YMHS Birdman

Wild I live about 15 or so miles from Brandywine n they are still open(drove by there last weekend). Maybe they are no longer hosting events(reenactments) like before but there are ads n the paper for tours, and other things going on on the grounds.To the best of my knowlage the little museum building is open also but I don't know off hand the days or hours. The politicos have got folks all over confused anymore(what they do best), best bet I would guess is to call ahead iffen yer interested in checking a place in Pa. out to make sure it is still open to the public and to what degree.But to the original question, I haven't heard or seen anything about any public hunting grounds being closed, maybe in other parts of the state but not around here in southeast Pa. --just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

From what I remember, they laid off the park head, and went to a volunteer system (Friends of Brandywine?). You're right, they eliminated the annual reenactment too. Historians told me most of the actual battlefield is in private hands and housing tracts I believe. And that there was no actual fighting done on the park grounds.

Apache 130- I'd keep an eye out. I also do some fly fishing and a few years back there was a big debate about the Little J- not navigable so it could be privately owned, or something to that effect. In any event we must be ever vigilant about our public lands. About 20 years ago there was talk in New Hampshire about selling off large tracks of the White Mountain National Forest. At the time I investigated WHO would get to buy this White Mountain National Forest Land and was told "small interests" were too much bother- it would be sold to "large interests".
I wonder what old Teddy Roosevelt would think...

Latest posts

Back