• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pennsylvania Long Rifle ID???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muntzster

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I need help with an ID for this rifle. I have been searching for more information, but now its time to turn to the experts. This rifle has been in my family for many years now. I have no idea what it is except that it came from Gettysburg, PA. The rifle has Philadelphia stamped on the side. It also has XXXXX Xroth above Philadelphia (The X's are illegible). The carved marks on the end of the rifle are hearts. There are two mirrored on either side of the rifle. According to my family it was used in the civil war, but that is all that they can tell me.

Anyone have any ideas?

img0754u.jpg

img0755s.jpg

img0756v.jpg

img0757e.jpg

img0758tr.jpg

img0759as.jpg

img0760c.jpg

Your rifle may have been used in the Civil War but it is not likely.
With the exception of a few of the Southern troops who brought guns from their homes at the beginning of the war, few flintlocks saw action.

If I had to guess at a time when this gun was built I would say sometime after 1800 but before 1830. I say this based on the shape of the butt plate and the lock.

The extremely low front sight tells me that your rifle is a real old rifle not a recently made gun. Things like that sight are almost never seen on a gun made after 1900.

The lock plate is of the late English shape and the lock may have been imported.

The curly (striped) maple stock indicates the gun was made in America

A "Q" shaped finial on a patchbox often indicates something that was made in the Bedford area but other areas occasionally used them.
The shape of the stock is definitely not from Bedford county.

Speaking of the patchbox, it looks like someone tried to pry it open? There should be a button either on the top or the bottom of the stocks butt that will release the lid allowing it to open.

Could you provide a picture of the butt of the stock looking directly from the side? The shape of the top and bottom of the stock in this area will help to determine where it was made.

Also, if you could provide a picture of the brass or steel plate on the side opposite the lock it might help to narrow things down. The shape of the "sideplates" can also help determine the origin of the gun.

While I'm asking for things, could you lay a long ruler or straight edge on one of the barrel flats?
A straight yardstick will do.
Either the barrel flat will be straight like the ruler and there will be no gaps or it will appear that the middle area of the barrel shows a gap between the barrel and the ruler.
When a barrels center area is smaller than the breech or muzzle it is called "swamped" and this indicates a very old gun.

The carved hearts ont the end of the stock look like where an inlay has come loose from the rifle . Beautiful figure on the stock.....................watch yer top knot..............

Thanks for posting pictures of this fine rifle,

I can't help with a name but with the stock architecture, the trigger guard and the hint of Bedford in the patchbox finial, I'd guess the maker was from the Adams, Franklin County or Northern Maryland area. It may have been in Gettysburg all it's life.

If you don't have any luck here, you might try the American Longrifles site. A lot of knowledge of antique rifles on that board.

Man, that's a beauty!! See if you can decipher some more of the signature, I have a book that lists all the arms makers of Pa.

Nice piece, it could be late 18th century, a pic of the cheekpiece side would be nice, there are several guys with good knowlegde of the later period flintlocks that will likley chime on this one.

Thanks to everyone for the input, I have been away at college for the last two weeks so I couldn't reply.

105o5uh.jpg

243qmx5.jpg

8z4l6s.jpg

After taking a closer look I found that the trigger closer to the stock allows you to pull the hammer back and set it and the front trigger actually fires the rifle. The unidentified Xroth that I could not make out earlier is actually XXXXSTROTH and PHILADELPHIA is underneath. As for the yardstick test, the barrel appears to be straight. The etched into the plate where the flint/hammer rests is a man hunting ducks over a pond. Hopefully this helps with the identification of this rifle. Thanks to everyone for all of the input so far.

Would love to see more pictures. If you can't download email them to me at [email protected]
I'd like to see with the patchbox closed. From the top by the hammer and the barrel. Looks like a nice old rifle.

You have a very nice PA\Kentucky rifle. Judgeing from the rounded tail of the lock plate and the curvature of the buttplate, I would say it was built in the first 25 years of the 19th century. The partial name with the Philly address only help to ID the rifle's lock maker. Nothing else. If you would look on the top barrel flat between the very breech end and the rear sight for any signs of a name, that would tell you who made the rifle. Unfortunately, there are more unsigned longrifles out there than there are signed ones. Many unsigned will never be identified positively. Attributions are always subject to debate and can change when new info or other signed rifles come into the light. What is the length of the barrel on this piece?

Back