• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pennsylvania flintlock season soon!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In game lands in schuylkill county(4C) since 11:30. No deer sighted but enjoying the fresh cool air and snow flurries with my .62 Fowler! I over slept this morning :doh:
E17CA7F8-DA60-4944-9F2D-6FC9399AE5E8.jpeg

This is my first year hunting with a flintlock. I went on local farm in 5D for the afternoon. I got there at 2pm and kicked up 2 deer already in the fields. Saw 20+ deer. 5 Different buck but nothing legal. 3 Spikes and (2) 4 pointers. Both 4 pointers stopped at 30 yards and taunted me (I'm sure)

I made myself a promise I wouldn't shoot further than I was practicing so I was limited to 50 yards. Most of the doe were 150-85 yards away. I watched a group of 16 come into the fields around 4:15. I was watching a big doe and she finally came just within 50 yards then out of the corner of my eye I saw a smaller doe coming right towards my spot. She was 30 yards away so I took the easier shot being that this is my first time hunting with the flintlock. Not a big deer but it's a special deer to me for sure. She will not go to waste that is for sure. I use almost everything I can from the deer including the bones for stock. The property has a bit of a deer problem so I'll get another chance later in the season to tag another.

Flintlock Deer.jpg

Congrats and good shooting. Sure sounds like you have a good spot to hunt and hopefully for a long time! In my teens i had more places to hunt in the Skippack area then you could shake a stick at. As the years went on they sold and housing developments went up. Made me sick to my stomach to see a country setting turn urban. Now i head up state to many counties to hunt. Sure do miss the them old times.

Congrats on a beautiful deer! We sure do live in a great state. Certainly not the same state as when we were young but we still have plenty of places and opportunities to hunt...if we put in the work.

I hunted the afternoon yesterday from about 330 until it got dark. I had seven deer walk past me at about 30 yards. All does. I let them all walk. Im holding out for a nice buck this time.

I was out all day yesterday and literally slid up and down hills in 2A. After being beat up by the terrain, 2 does ran across my path while I was heading back to my car at 4:30. Pulled up on the 2nd one and “click”....oh well! The flintlock hunts are always the most memorable hunts whether I connect or not.

I was out hunting in 5c tonight, at last light I walked out of the woods, down edge of field to meet my friend. As he’s walking out of the woods I see two deer about 80 yards feeding in high grass. I slowly pull up the gun, pull set trigger and boom! I had to have pulled the actual trigger a split second later! My sights weren’t even on the deer yet. Rookie mistake, haven’t had “buck fever” in decades. Next time I’ll be more cautious of the sensitivity of the double triggers.

Hunted in 5C this evening, saw nothing. Noticed Pile after pile of deer poop around the area of my stand. My friend hunted from the same stand this morning and saw nothing as well. I’m heading back out hunting on Tuesday, not sure if I will hunt the mountains or lowland.

Acorns are in short supply in most places here. I think near corn fields would be best.
I think I will hunt with a crew of guys tomorrow if the weather permits.
Saw 30 deer doing drives last Saturday. Most I was in a while. Same place, hopefully same activity.

This is my first year hunting with a flintlock. I went on local farm in 5D for the afternoon. I got there at 2pm and kicked up 2 deer already in the fields. Saw 20+ deer. 5 Different buck but nothing legal. 3 Spikes and (2) 4 pointers. Both 4 pointers stopped at 30 yards and taunted me (I'm sure)

I made myself a promise I wouldn't shoot further than I was practicing so I was limited to 50 yards. Most of the doe were 150-85 yards away. I watched a group of 16 come into the fields around 4:15. I was watching a big doe and she finally came just within 50 yards then out of the corner of my eye I saw a smaller doe coming right towards my spot. She was 30 yards away so I took the easier shot being that this is my first time hunting with the flintlock. Not a big deer but it's a special deer to me for sure. She will not go to waste that is for sure. I use almost everything I can from the deer including the bones for stock. The property has a bit of a deer problem so I'll get another chance later in the season to tag another.

View attachment 56096

I've said it before but I'll say it again. Any deer taken with a flintlock is a trophy!

Ha! Nice skunk. I was going out to my barn/shop to turn on my space heaters so I can work on my son's percussion pistol this morning and saw one doe bedded about 70 yards from the barn in the hemlocks. My loaded flintlock rifle is in the barn, so I went upstairs where my shop is, turned on the heaters and then opened the hay door to see if I had a shot from up there. I couldn't see the bedded deer from that perspective (hemlock tree), but I saw two others just uphill from it that offered decent, albeit long-ish shots. I didn't take a shot and slipped out of the barn to find that the original doe was still lying there and offering an OK shot from the corner of my barn. Passed on that too. I don't need or want a deer right now (have already passed a few marginal shots up) and I sure as hell didn't want to take one that way. I have a brother and two buddies coming to hunt on Monday and I'm sure one or more of us will get some shooting then.

I hunted this morning in 3B on some private land. It was 14 degrees and crunchy with 2-3 inches of snow. Hunting from an elevated stabd with walls, I heard one coming my way at 8 am. It appeared in a little clearing 65 yards away, I stopped it and squeezed the trigger. It bounded off unfazed. I think I somehow shot over or under it. Just simply made a bad shot, no hair or blood in the snow. I’ll be heading back out Wednesday.

Back