• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pennsylvania flintlock season soon!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryK

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Good luck to all the flintlock hunters on December 26.
There is a foot or two of snow on the ground here in Centre County, so driving deer will be a chore.
Hopefully some will melt off, and it won't turn to ice. Those hunts on ice are pretty tough, and not so successful. Anyway, the hunt is always fun.

Good luck to you also TerryK. I hunt in Columbia County near Benton and Carbon County near Big Boulder Ski Area. Can't wait to get my first deer with the flinter!

We got 15" out of the first snow, then it settled and melted a bit before we got 2-3" more last night. Hopefully it will settle some more. I don't drive them, but will stand hunt a bit and enjoy still-hunting them in a few inches of snow. Looks like we'll have more snow than I'd prefer, but we'll manage.

I’ll be out before sunrise opening morning, I cannot wait. I have multiple tags, and about 6-7 days to hunt late season with my new flinter. I hunt the Poconos and Northwest of the Scranton area. Hopefully we see some pics of members.

Me and Vixen ( my custom .50 Schimmel) will be going for a stroll. This will be my first season with a flintlock since '07. I've had a good year, so far, with 4 in the freezer. I still have my buck and 2 doe tags. I also have friends and family with a taste for venison...

Attachments

• 20200814_150035.jpg
    20200814_150035.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 115
Good luck everyone, I'll be in 1A.
Looks like we will have snow and a cold start Saturday morning.

I’ll be in 4D. Amazingly the snow is melting off. I guess in the 50s tomorrow with rain all day. Then it will be in the teens.
I have boot “chains/cleats”. And they are worth their weight in gold hunting on ice.I’m lucky I will be hunting with a dozen or so guys, so we should move those deer.

I just chose which rifle I'll hunt with, cleaned it again and sparked the lock with a flint I knapped after gathering the stone this fall in Ohio (it sparks great). Put my possibles bag together for .45 caliber and other than setting my clothes out on Christmas night, I'm ready. I figured with the snow on the ground I'd take advantage and hunt with a .45 that I've not yet killed a deer with (I prefer or a .50 or .54 if there's no tracking snow). Should be fun if the weather isn't horrid. I don't mind the cold, but after forecast warm weather and rain for tomorrow, I fear that there will be a sheet of ice everywhere on the opener.

I have stands hung on four properties I'm allowed to hunt here in Perry County . Sure hope the snow goes with the rain tomorrow. Hate to think of having to crunch around on the ice next week. Best of luck to everyone.

Best of luck to you all. I normally hunt 5C and 3D, but will be trapping fisher as my freezer is almost full. Very excited to be drawn for a late season flintlock hunt at Middle Creek!

I'm looking forward to it. I haven't gotten a deer with my flintlock in a few years. My deer sightings are few this year. I'm gonna try some different areas.

We got about 6 inches around here. Its melting off fast. I think with the rain coming the snow will all be gone by Saturday.

I got a doe with my .54 caliber Lancaster during regular rifle season, so Ill be holding out for a buck this go round.

I was out before first light on public land in 3D. It was Cold! At first light I Heard deer walking in heavy cover infront of me but couldn’t see them. After a few hours I got up and I walked in a small circle, but it was very crunchy and loud. I still hunted for a bit and kicked up 4 deer, but had no shot opportunity. Still better then being at work!

Back