• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pennsylvania Early Muzzleloader Doe Harvest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniata

40 Cal
Reaction score
Took the last 3 days of the season to hunt Western PA. Friday morning as I crawled into a ladder stand to watch over a 2 year old cut, I hardly had time to get situated till I saw this big doe moving past about 75 yards.
I got the video camera pointed her general direction and tried to find a good spot to get a shot through the tall briars and fern.
I adjusted the camera and found an opening to take the shot, and stopped her.
Took my time settling the sight on her shoulder, dropping her with a high shoulder hit.
As luck would have it, I captured it all on film so you can enjoy it too, I will eventually post a thread with the link to the YouTube video once I get home and edit the footage.
This was the first deer I took with my rifle which I completed this past May.

Details:
Isaac Haines Lancaster Rifle
.45 Rice B weight Swamped 38" Barrel
Large Siler Lock
.440 RB
.020" OxYoke prelubed/precut patch
65 grains 3f GOEX

60 yard shot
Clarion County PA

Attachments

• PXL_20211022_121042705.jpg
    PXL_20211022_121042705.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 133
Thanks for sharing your success with us. Of all I've kilt only taken one through the high shoulders with a roundball, but it did what your's did, down right there and not getting back up. This was with a 50 cal at 30 yards, but nearly identical, with a big doe. I was close and on the ground so administered the coup de grace pretty quickly. The RB is certainly not obsolete.
Good to hear John's voice on the video.

At first, from the picture, it looked like you must have shot her close and down below you from a tree stand because that entry point was as high as it was. I remember those days in Indiana, lol. Climbing up in a tree stand and realizing the deer are already there...not many trees in these parts where I live now. I like that you use a .45 caliber.

Let your high shot be an example to the large bore enthusiasts who say the .45 isn't always enough. That is a marginal hit, and the .45 did just fine. What a fun hunt, and a great deer caliber.

Back