• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pendersoli Pennsylvania Longrifle Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Kje54,
Experimenting is fun!!! I do it all the time sometimes with the same results as you. I don't want to admit how many stocks I've wiped stain off of because my plan was a bust. Good on you to jump in and try carving. I find incised carving to be much more challenging than relief carving because you often cannot fix any mistakes and rough areas. It appears you used a "V" chisel. I can see where the heel dragged on some of the curves. The best incised carvers actually cut most of their scrolls with gouges. They stab in the design with a small flat chisel and then back cut the curves with gouges of the appropriate size for the curve. That results in much smoother curves. The rifle below has incised scroll cut with that method.
vtyITem.jpg

About staining English or European walnut. Your staining experiment will pay benefits but not in the way you originally intended. The dark pigment that will reside in the open rays of the wood will give the stock an old mellow look. Here is an example in which the English walnut stock was stained black first, scraped, and then stained with alkanet root infused in mineral spirits.
xTjXkvO.jpg

For staining and bringing out figure in English walnut, nothing beats alkanet root. Do an internet search and you will find vendors who sell the stain. Here is a figured English walnut stock stained with alkanet root.
xES8ufA.jpg

2uLC2kj.jpg

However, a really good alternative choice is Laurel Mountain Forge's walnut stain. Here is an example with English walnut.
ISpp21L.jpg

MV5lgjR.jpg

dave

Hi Kje54,
Experimenting is fun!!! I do it all the time sometimes with the same results as you. I don't want to admit how many stocks I've wiped stain off of because my plan was a bust. Good on you to jump in and try carving. I find incised carving to be much more challenging than relief carving because you often cannot fix any mistakes and rough areas. It appears you used a "V" chisel. I can see where the heel dragged on some of the curves. The best incised carvers actually cut most of their scrolls with gouges. They stab in the design with a small flat chisel and then back cut the curves with gouges of the appropriate size for the curve. That results in much smoother curves. The rifle below has incised scroll cut with that method.
vtyITem.jpg

About staining English or European walnut. Your staining experiment will pay benefits but not in the way you originally intended. The dark pigment that will reside in the open rays of the wood will give the stock an old mellow look. Here is an example in which the English walnut stock was stained black first, scraped, and then stained with alkanet root infused in mineral spirits.
xTjXkvO.jpg

For staining and bringing out figure in English walnut, nothing beats alkanet root. Do an internet search and you will find vendors who sell the stain. Here is a figured English walnut stock stained with alkanet root.
xES8ufA.jpg

2uLC2kj.jpg

However, a really good alternative choice is Laurel Mountain Forge's walnut stain. Here is an example with English walnut.
ISpp21L.jpg

MV5lgjR.jpg

dave
Yup, used a "V" chisel, thought that was the way to go. Obviously not the best choice. I tried to keep it as straight as possible but didn't succeed.

Hi Kje54,
vtyITem.jpg

xTjXkvO.jpg

dave
Awesome mr Person.
Thank you!

Finally put it together today. Not great but not that bad for an amateur carver.
Reworked the stock, comb, nose piece and added more period front and rear sights..... I just realized the front sight is on backwards...... Oops. Easy fix.

Penn Rifle Finished1.jpg

Penn Rifle Finished4.jpg

Penn Rifle Finished2.jpg

Penn Rifle Finished3.jpg

Back