• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pendersoli lock ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1dogdown

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a Pendersoli cap lock.I want to make the switch to flint.I know L+R has the rpl.But some say it drops in.While others fight with it.
If I were to use a Pendersoli lock would it be a drop in?Or seeing I'm going from cap to flint.Would I still have fitting to do?

A lot depends of how old the gun is, as there were minor changes made thru the production. I had no problem switching from percussion to flint using a L&R replacement lock on a Pedersoli Frontier. No fitting was required, but a friend with an older Frontier wanted to do the same thing and it required that he remove some wood from around and in the lock mortise. The problem for him was that the switch to flint went OK, but if he wanted to switch back, he would have gaps in the wood to metal fit of the lock which would look terrible.

You won't know for sure until you get the lock and see.

In my case there were two issues. One was that the drum hole was so low that it actually broke through the the bottom of the side flat into the next one and had a couple of exposed threads! o_O If I had put a vent liner in there, the touch hole would have been below the bottom of the pan and I also did not consider this a safe situation with exposed threads. Second, the Pedersoli lock I got was full of major quality issues. I have no idea how it ever got out of the factory. I have owned a number of Pedersoli's and have never seen anything like it. But even so, the lock plate was shaped a bit differently than my lock mortise for the caplock and it would have taken too much effort to "build up" the mortise in some areas...not as easy as just removing some wood to fit a slightly oversized plate in.

In the end, I returned the Pedersoli lock and went with a Jim Chambers builders lock. That was clearly a lot of work as well, but in the end I had a top-quality lock installed. I had to have the patent breech lopped off so I could re-drill the hole for the vent liner....but the project I was doing was a larger complete re-make of the gun anyway. Otherwise, it would not have worked for me.

I know others report virtually dropping in the L&R or Pedersoli without issue. Luck of the draw, I guess.

16789732455_de97ea64b0_c.jpg

32709919756_a871392c19_c.jpg

Latest posts

Back