• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pemi Primitive Biathlon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mark your calendars for Feb 20. The Pemi Valley Fish & Game Club in Holderness, NH is holding our primitive biathlon.

Many have been asking if Pemi will be holding an event this year. Pemi will be having a Black Powder Primitive Biathlon/Woods Walk type modified event on Saturday, February 20, 2021. The Pemi Fish and Game Club Range will remain open this winter, following of course suggested protocols like wearing masks indoors, and distancing.

The course and targets are in place, and Joe will pack the course and put-up signs the day before. As there will not be scorers at each station, you will traverse the course and keep your own score on the honor system. If you wish you can be “on the clock” and shoot the regular biathlon targets, or do the event as a “woods Walk” and engage the woods walk targets “off the clock”. There will be the usual shooting categories, including pistol and inline.

Registration will open at 8:00 and everyone must be on the course by 1:00. There will not be preregistration for the event this year; the event fee is $15.00. The Clubhouse will be open, the large tables will allow distancing and masks indoors are requested while in the Clubhouse. Plan on bringing your own lunch, coffee and water will be available.

As the COVID restrictions vary by State, you should plan on following your State’s suggestions.

If you have any questions, contact:

Joe Morris - [email protected]

My pleasure.

I'll be the guy in modern clothes. I've been busy buying rifles, and pistols, but haven't managed to find any clothing that's close to appropriate, never mind correct.

It will still be a fun day. let's hope for warmish weather.

Sorry, not much of a picture guy. I have one of me that my buddy took Primitive.jpg

I do have some stats for the event, if it helps. Weather was partly sunny, light wind in the morning, increasing in the afternoon. Temps around 28. There were 26 participants. Many of the Vermonters came over anyway. Several ran the course multiple times.

Cool. How many targets? What were they like? Distances, types, sizes?
Did everyone have traditional wood snowshoes? I'm still trying to find a pair of used ones i can afford. All I have are my surplus metal G.I. issue ones.

For some reason, I don't know why, all of the primitive biathlon shoots consist of 9 targets ranging from 35-55 yards. Wooden snowshoes are required (if conditions permit) for participants that are "on the clock".

Cool. How many targets? What were they like? Distances, types, sizes?
Did everyone have traditional wood snowshoes? I'm still trying to find a pair of used ones i can afford. All I have are my surplus metal G.I. issue ones.
As said, 9 targets...mostly ~4" x 8" swingers. There were some star shaped targets, but those were for inlines, I think. Targets were set at ~40 yds. I wasn't on the clock, but wore my wooden shoes to try and have something period about my gear. I bought them about 35 years ago and never got on with the bindings so they hung in the barn mostly. I just ordered a set of USGI bindings that will hopefully work a little better, even if a little less correct. My walking partner wore modern aluminum shoes as it was a little icy, and he didn't want to fall. I have a set of clamp on crampons that I bought when I bought the shoes. They worked fairly well. I did step on my shoe at one point and fell anyway. :doh:

Back