• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

peep site on a T/C Hawken or Renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw a video on Youtube that showed someone shooting a T/C Hawken that had a rear peep site. He mentioned it but did not elaborate on it. It appeared to mount under the existing two tang screws on the gun. I cannot find one listed. Anybody installed one and know? I don't want to drill holes. Also, if I remove the existing rear site and reinstall the screws back in the holes, will they screw down all the way, and will they interfere with my line of sight?
update...
1594349125268.png

Actually, after I asked, I found one. Used, for $125. I don't think I want one after all.

Last edited:
Likely a Lyman 57SML sight. Depending on age of your TC, you may have to drill and tap one hole. Older guns had the tapped hole. You can plug the original sight tapped holes in the barrel with set screws made specifically for that purpose, or just leave them as is, empty.

EDIT: You edited your post after I responded. Some people like the TC peep sight, but personally do not find it anywhere near as versatile at the Lyman. I have both.

Last edited:
I realize that gun builders, if they wanted a peep sight, made one, as they did the rest of the gun. I might try making my own.
1594355097831.png

Something like this one shown on muzzleloadershop.com

Check out TOW. They have a peep sight similar to the old T/c sight but without the ability to change apertures. The price is alittle more reasonable. Those old T/C sights are getting as scarce as hens teeth, and the going price is about twice as much as what they went for new back in the day.

The Lyman sight is neither PC nor HC, but neither is the TC Hawken. The TC sight has become a bit of a collector's item, I guess, which is odd considering the lack of authenticity of the guns themselves, particularly the Renegade with it's plastic, shotgun-style butt plate. However, those TC guns got a lot of us into muzzleloading and side-locks in particular, myself included, so I certainly hold no malice towards them. For my aged eyes, the Lyman sight was a godsend on my TC. So far, I can do without a peep on my longer-barreled side-locks, but the front sight has gotten much to close on the Hawken. The peep sight let me keep hunting with it.

The Lyman 57SML isn't cheap either, by the way.

Latest posts

Back