• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep sight question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf172

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a Johnson rear peep sight on my Kentucky. I did some measuring and the front sight is about 1/4" from the barrel to the top of the sight and the rear measures about 1/2" from the barrel up to the aperture. I heard to concentrate on the front sight so is the difference in height going to make any difference when I go to sight in. I hope that I explained it right.

With a properly mounted peep sight, your eye will naturally center the top of the blade front sight in the center of the aperture. You may have to adjust the rear sight to get yourself on target just like you would with open sights. You must "Look" thru the peep to the front sight. Do not try to center the front blade in the aperture, let you eye do it automatically.

My answer to your question is you will not know for sure until you shoot it. Once you have a target showing the difference in where you are aiming and the gun is actually hitting then you can use measurements of the sights to calculate adjustment. Just offhand it sounds like you will be okay with the sight setup.

You need to shoot it to see if it's a problem. Start at 25yd and I advocate center hold rather than the conventional 6oclock. That way you know without a doubt what's going on. With a 6oclock hold you have to take the size of your target into consideration.

Latest posts

Back