• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep sight mounting height?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregononeshot

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I installed my lyman 57 sight on my GPR. I lined it up with my Buckhorn sight I took off, so hopefully it's close on paper. I noticed that when I line up the sights, my cheek doesn't make much contact with the stock. I would like to have much more of my cheek on the stock, like you would with a modern rifle. I think it would make me more consistent with my mounting procedure when I shoot. Is it normal that not much of my cheek touch the stock, or should I drop the peep down as low as it will go, then file the front sight down? If I go the second route, I'm worried that the front sight will be almost touching the barrel by the time I file enough down to sight it in.

Have you shot it yet to see where the impact will be?

I would do that before I stared filing

Fleener

I don't have any issue with cheek weld on mine.
I left on my rear sight on my Lyman GPR with the Lyman 57 sight. Originally, it was to develop loads and target shoot better. I was planning to take the rear sight off eventually but just left it. Honestly, IMO it just helps me line up the peep a little easier. It also gives me a little assurance that nothing has moved. Leaving both on, I found that the rear sight spring was a bit weak and when handling the gun, the rear sight would drop down some. Without having both peep and rear, I may have never noticed that. Its almost like the rear sight acts as a diopter to help me and my aging eyes align the front sight up. Since I only have been shooting the gun at 50 yards, I have not needed to adjust the rear sight any. Just my 2 cents.

I haven't shot it yet. I might go out this afternoon if I can convince myself it will be fun when the temperature is in the teens! I wouldn't do anything until I get it sighted in but I'm confident I'm pretty close where its at right now.

I installed my lyman 57 sight on my GPR. I lined it up with my Buckhorn sight I took off, so hopefully it's close on paper. I noticed that when I line up the sights, my cheek doesn't make much contact with the stock. I would like to have much more of my cheek on the stock, like you would with a modern rifle. I think it would make me more consistent with my mounting procedure when I shoot. Is it normal that not much of my cheek touch the stock, or should I drop the peep down as low as it will go, then file the front sight down? If I go the second route, I'm worried that the front sight will be almost touching the barrel by the time I file enough down to sight it in.

I know what you mean, You will need to lower your front Sight height to achieve what you speak of. I have a Lyman Great Plains “Hunter” (Fast bullet twist) I also have the Lyman 57 GPR Tang Peep on mine, and the Lyman 17 AEU Globe Front Sight (17AEU fits European 9mm (nominal .360" x .070") dovetail)
I personally don’t like the taller .464 Height of the AEU, i prefer the shortest Lyman Globe which is the 17AHB at .404 High, I will be changing this AEU out for the AHB, i just haven’t got around to Fitting it yet. The AHB is standard 3/8 Dovetail so i will need to File the Dove down on the Globe.

Here is how high my Lyman 57 GPR Tang peep is with a 100 Yard Zero, i prefer it to be Lower. The Lower AHB will allow me to get the 57 GPR Lower
Uv6ZVbpl.jpg

And here is a Williams FP Hawken on 1 of my TC Hawken’s, i run the shorter 17AHB on all of my guns, as you can see the lower front Globe height allows me to keep my Tang Peep bridge much Lower which i prefer. This Rifle is also Zeroed at 100 Yards
VgVVk5zl.jpg

I would put a much lower front site on it. This will raise point of impact requiring you to lower the rear site, keep at this till you can snuggle with your cheek piece. The way it looks now, it could be hard to walk thru the woods with it......let alone get a cheek weld. Keep at it, it will get better.

The biggest problem to Cheek Weld with a Tang Mounted Peep on these Lyman GP Rifles is the “Drop at Heel” of the Lyman GP Butt Stocks, I personally don’t like my Lyman GP Rifle nearly as well as my TC Hawken’s, At least for my Style of shooting (i Mostly Target/Bench shoot) I much Prefer my TC Hawkens. My Lyman GPR is an AWESOME Shooting Rifle! Just not as comfortable for my Style. A Cheek Riser on the Butt Stock (as mentioned above) is another VERY good option to Combat the Cheek Weld problem due to the “Drop at Heel” of these Rifles
LjUZD4al.jpg

I went out and shot in the warm 15 degree weather. Gun hit right where it needed to. My height of my sight is just a tad lower than Idaholewis picture of his. I think I'll look into a cheek riser, you guys know any good ones to look into?

I went out and shot in the warm 15 degree weather. Gun hit right where it needed to. My height of my sight is just a tad lower than Idaholewis picture of his. I think I'll look into a cheek riser, you guys know any good ones to look into?

Accu Riser makes several different Cheek risers, even Leather lace ups, some are adjustable in height. Give you some ideas anyway. I plan to get their 3/4” to 2” adjustable Leather Lace up for my Long Range Renegade Rifle, i have a Long Range Soule Tang Peep on this Particular gun, The farther i get out, the more Cheek weld i will lose.

https://www.accu-riser.com/

Having a good solid cheek weld is fundamental to having a solid position. It provides support and stability in the position. Another benefit is that upon recoil, the gun can't get as much momentum moving upwards, so becoming a cheek slapper.

I looked at accu-riser, they look like great products! I also like the lace up adjustable one, I think it will work perfect. Also looks like it had a sling attachment built into it, thanks!

Back