• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Peep sight eye relief?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a CVA octagonal barrel that I was hoping to get a peep sight attached to and was looking at the Williams WGRS rear peep sight. However, if I knock out the current buckhorn sight to free up the existing dovetail, it's a good 8 inches down the barrel from the tang. Is that too far away to allow for proper eye relief for a rear peep sight? Would it only work if the peep sight had a larger aperture instead of a pinhole-sized one? I haven't used one before, so I wasn't sure. I've heard the CVA tang is too short to mount a rear peep sight on it, so the barrel mounted sight seemed the best option. Thanks!

I have a CVA octagonal barrel that I was hoping to get a peep sight attached to and was looking at the Williams WGRS rear peep sight. However, if I knock out the current buckhorn sight to free up the existing dovetail, it's a good 8 inches down the barrel from the tang. Is that too far away to allow for proper eye relief for a rear peep sight? Would it only work if the peep sight had a larger aperture instead of a pinhole-sized one? I haven't used one before, so I wasn't sure. I've heard the CVA tang is too short to mount a rear peep sight on it, so the barrel mounted sight seemed the best option. Thanks!

I shoot a lot of rifles with peep sights. Most mount on the tang with about an inch or so clearance from your eye . Merit makes nice adjustable rear apature that you can adjust the size. When you adjust the rear apature adjust until you see a gray ball in the sight picture then back it off a touch. That we I'll give you a proper sight picture. The lyman 57 should be mountable on a cva I think it i a 57sml about 50-60 dollars. Might have to drill a hole or two but no big deal.see a gunsmith if you not comfortable .Log Cabin Sport Shop will have them. I have a early ideal lyman number 1 early 1900's .Had to tweak the base but fits nice on my .32 won the August postal match with it.

The farther it is from your eye the smaller the field of view down range will be.

Skinner sights makes a "Low Peep" that can be mounted on a short tang. It requires drill & tapping one hole. It is only adjustable for elevation. The have different sized apertures for it. I have a couple of them mounted on T/C Renegades due to failing eyesight. I really like them cause they ar rather unobtrusive.

+4 - the aperture should be close enough to the shooter's eye to enable looking "through" the aperture ILO looking "at" it. (especially on close/fast shooting)

Marbles makes a Bullseye (sorta peep) sight that mounts in the existing rear dovetail. I have one on my Lyman GPR. IMO, not as good as a standard tang mounted peep, but works well enough for me.

Thanks everyone...looks like I have some alternative options to check into instead of going with my original plan!

Is your objective a better sight picture or are you trying to improve the ability of your eye to focus on the sight/target? In either case, you will probably have better luck with the peep mounted closer to your eyes.

Professor, those 57 SML sights by Lyman are good sights but are now around $100 or more. I use them on my table guns.

I have Skinner sights mounted on two unmentionables and they are mounted at the place of the original rear sight. A good distance down the barrel and away from the eye. They both do a stellar job.

Decided to try the Marbles Bullseye rear sight and matching ivory bead front sight for now...see if that works well, and if not I'll try the Skinners...thanks!

Back