• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep Hole Height?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It needs to be the same height as the front sight. Minor adjustments can be made to get exactly on the 'X'. Start small with the peep, you can always make it larger. You cannot smaller it if too large.

This was my post to start with so I will post a pic of my "test peep". Pic quality is not that good. I did make the center of the peep the same height as the front sight. And it is shooting about 2" high at 50 yards. The front screw hole is large enough so there is a little windage in it as well. Peep hole is 3/32" (.0937). The hole might be a little large for some eyes but it works for me. I'm happy as my old eyes just did not like the rear TC sight. What you see is a piece of steel rectangle tubing cut and flattened out and mounted on TC tang of a 1970 Hawken. It is stiff. Not very pretty but functional for sure. The other pic is a piece of copper strap that will probably be the replacement for the existing one. Will be cut on the scratched line. Both will be antiqued. This project was fun and not rocket science. Dont be afraid to tackle projects like this. Fun and you can learn things as well. Happy Valentines Day to all.

Attachments

• IMG_5967.JPG
    IMG_5967.JPG
    423.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5968.JPG
    IMG_5968.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 0
Make the peep sight so the original sights line up. Then remove the rear sight.

Hole diameters? I would encourage folks to shoot an accurate modern rife with a good peep sight, rested and off the bench. Then unscrew the eye cup and stick in your pocket. Shoot again under the same conditions. Compare the groups. You may be surprised at the difference.

Tiny apertures are great under perfect conditions. Not so much in the field. The possibility of not seeing the game or target due to insufficient light with a tiny peep hole is real. Many military rifles used peep hole in the 1/8" range. It was not ignorance or accident that they did that.

"The idea is to have a hole/sight picture that you can anchor the front sight in." I'm not sure what that means. To use a peep sight you simply look through it. No effort to center the front sight is necessary. The alignment is automatic.

Tiny rear sight holes do take advantage of the pinhole effect. The front sight and target will be in focus at the same time. This good for target work, up to a point. For instance, I recently shot a 300 yard match where the target was an OD torso shape on a tan background. The small peep made it impossible to make out the target against the background. I installed a larger peep it got better.

This ^^^^^

For a hunting application one must factor in all conditions of available light. That particularly includes during poor light conditions when big game is often out and about. Too small of peep hole is often useless in poor light conditions. That includes if one is in sunlight and shooting into a darker background, such as game in the shadows.

Allow me to explain this a bit further. Years ago I bought a taller tang type peep for my TC. It had a lager disc but a tiny hole to see through. As soon as I mounted it on my ML what I had feared became obvious. I flat out knew there was no way that was going to work as a hunting sight for this ole boy. And my vision was good back then.

Took the peep back and bought a TC peep, installed it and life was good. I just measured the hole in that peep and it measures 1/8".

There are target peeps and hunting peeps. Choose wisely.

This ^^^^^

For a hunting application one must factor in all conditions of available light. That particularly includes during poor light conditions when big game is often out and about. Too small of peep hole is often useless in poor light conditions. That includes if one is in sunlight and shooting into a darker background, such as game in the shadows.

Allow me to explain this a bit further. Years ago I bought a taller tang type peep for my TC. It had a lager disc but a tiny hole to see through. As soon as I mounted it on my ML what I had feared became obvious. I flat out knew there was no way that was going to work as a hunting sight for this ole boy. And my vision was good back then.

Took the peep back and bought a TC peep, installed it and life was good. I just measured the hole in that peep and it measures 1/8".

There are target peeps and hunting peeps. Choose wisely.
Exactly! The guys saying a 1/8" aperture hole is too big, obviously haven't hunted with a peep in low light conditions. Some of the "Ghost Sight Peeps" are even larger. Your eye will naturally center the front bead no matter the size of the aperture. Target shooting under good light can use a smaller aperture for more precision, but 1/8" would be the smallest I would use for "hunting". Just my two cents.

Exactly! The guys saying a 1/8" aperture hole is too big, obviously haven't hunted with a peep in low light conditions. Some of the "Ghost Sight Peeps" are even larger. Your eye will naturally center the front bead no matter the size of the aperture. Target shooting under good light can use a smaller aperture for more precision, but 1/8" would be the smallest I would use for "hunting". Just my two cents.
Yeppers. I went through this same scenario with vertical bows and peeps for years. I learned real quick like that a tiny peep is great for ideal light conditions but was absolutely terrible for poor light conditions. And indeed, it is only natural for the eye to center in the peep and front sight.

For most folks, there are target peeps and hunting peeps. It would behoove everyone to consider this and apply it to their objective.

Well said. Ye beat me to it.

Doesnt the distance from your eye to the site on the particular rifle you are using determine the suitable range of aperture sizes?

Latest posts

Back